11 NCAC 13 .0541 BAIL BOND PRELICENSING EDUCATION COURSES
(a) Providers shall offer no less than 12 instructional hours of prelicensing education.
(b) The following requirements are course standards:
(1) All courses shall consist of instruction on bail bonding licensing, regulations, procedures for setting bail and forfeiture of bail as set forth in Chapter 58 Article 71 and Chapter 15A Article 26 and 37 of the North Carolina General Statutes.
(2) Courses may also include coverage of related subject areas not prescribed by the Commissioner; however, such courses must provide additional class time, above the minimum requirement stated in Paragraph (a) of this Rule, for the coverage of such subject areas.
(3) Prelicensing courses shall be for instructional purposes only and not for promoting the interests of or recruiting employees for any particular bail bond agency or surety insurance company.
(4) Providers shall establish and enforce academic standards for course completion that assure that students receiving a passing grade possess knowledge and understanding of the subject areas prescribed for the course.
(5) Providers shall conduct a comprehensive course examination that covers all subject areas prescribed by the Commissioner for each course. Providers may allow a student to make up a missed examination or to retake a failed examination in accordance with policies adopted by the provider. No comprehensive course examination shall be given until a student has completed the instructional requirement as prescribed in Subparagraph (1) of this Paragraph.
(6) Students shall attend the minimum 12 hours of bail bond instruction set forth in Paragraph (a) of this Rule. Time set aside for breaks, pop-tests, quizzes, the final comprehensive course examination and other non-instructional activities shall not count toward the minimum instructional requirement.
(c) The following requirements shall be met for scheduling purposes:
(1) Class meetings shall not exceed eight hours of instruction in any given day.
(2) Classroom courses shall have fixed beginning and ending dates and may not be conducted on an open-entry or open-exit basis.
(d) The choice of classroom course text is at the discretion of each provider.
(e) All prelicensing courses shall be taught by instructors who meet the qualifications described in Rule 11 NCAC 13 .0542.
(f) The following certification of course completion procedures apply:
(1) Providers shall validate each student who successfully completes a prelicensing course by issuing a Certificate of Course Completion. The Certificate of Course Completion shall not be validated for a student prior to the student completing all course requirements and passing the course's comprehensive examination; and
(2) A Certificate of Course Completion shall be attached to the application for bail bond license(s) and expires six months after issuance. If an applicant does not apply for a license within six months after receiving the Certificate of Course Completion, the applicant must complete the prelicensing education requirements again.
History Note: Authority G.S. 58-2-40; 58-2-40, 58-71-71;
Eff. October 1, 2010.