01 NCAC 17 .0708 PROHIBITED ACTIVITIES
(a) The following methods shall not be used by abuser treatment programs:
(1) couples therapy or counseling;
(2) any therapy or counseling which places the responsibility for adult behavior on the children or the victim;
(3) any theoretical approaches that treat the violence as a mutual process; and
(4) any counseling models that identify the violence as an addiction and the children or adult victim as enabling or codependent.
(b) The following methods shall not be the primary focus of intervention:
(1) techniques that lay primary causality on anger;
(2) theories or techniques that identify poor impulse control as the primary cause of the violence;
(3) methods that identify psychopathology on either parties' part as a primary cause of violence;
(4) interventions that base causation on a lack of communication skills; or
(5) the gradual containment or de-escalation of violence.
History Note: Authority G.S. 50B-3(a)(12); 143B-394.16;
Eff. October 1, 2004;
Pursuant to G.S. 150B-21.3A, rule is necessary without substantive public interest Eff. January 3, 2017.