02 NCAC 09C .0302 DEFINITIONS
The following definitions shall apply in this Section:
(1) "Food Bank" means a nonprofit organization or nonprofit corporation engaged only in the practice of collecting donated food for distribution.
(2) "Swells" means a condition of canned foods whereby internal pressure from gas production becomes sufficient to distort both ends of the container.
(3) "Springers" means swollen cans characterized by one bulging end which, when pressed inward, causes the other end to bulge.
(4) "Flippers" means normal appearing cans which when struck on one end (or side) will cause the other end to spring outward. The bulged end can be pushed back in with light pressure.
(5) "Low‑acid Foods" means any foods other than alcoholic beverages with a finished equilibrium pH value greater than 4.6 and a water activity greater than 0.85.
(6) "Brights" means foods packaged in metal cans to which labels have not been attached.
(7) "Department" means North Carolina Department of Agriculture.
(8) "High Risk Foods" means foods which provide optimum conditions for microbial growth with special reference to pathogenic (disease causing) organisms.
History Note: Authority G.S. 106‑141.1;
Eff. December 9, 1980;
Amended Eff. October 1, 1987;
Pursuant to G.S. 150B-21.3A, rule is necessary without substantive public interest Eff. March 22, 2015.