02 NCAC 09E .0104 LABEL FORMAT
Commercial feeds shall be labeled with the information prescribed in this regulation on the principal display panel of the product and in the following general format:
(1) Net weight;
(2) Product name and brand name, if any;
(3) If drugs are used, the following shall appear:
(a) The word "medicated" shall appear directly following and below the product name in type size no smaller than one half the type size of the product name;
(b) The purpose of medication (claim statement);
(c) The required direction for use and precautionary statements required by 02 NCAC 09E .0108 and 02 NCAC 09E .0109 appear elsewhere on the label;
(d) An active drug ingredient statement listing the active drug ingredients by their established name and the amounts in accordance with 02 NCAC 09E .0106(d);
(4) The guaranteed analysis of the feed as required under the provisions of Section 106‑284.35(1)(c) of the North Carolina Commercial Feed Law of 1973 include the following items, unless exempted in (h) of this Subparagraph, and in the order listed:
(a) Minimum percentage of crude protein;
(b) Maximum or minimum percentage of equivalent protein from non‑protein nitrogen as required in 02 NCAC 09E .0106(e);
(c) Minimum percentage of crude fat;
(d) Maximum percentage of crude fiber;
(e) Minerals, to include, in the following order:
(i) minimum and maximum percentages of calcium (Ca),
(ii) minimum percentages of phosphorus (P),
(iii) minimum and maximum percentages of salt (NaCl),
(iv) other minerals;
(f) Vitamins in such terms as specified in 02 NCAC 09E .0106(c);
(g) Total sugars as invert on dried molasses products or products being sold primarily for their molasses content;
(h) Exemptions for guarantees will be as follows:
(i) Guarantees for minerals are not required when there are no specific label claims and when the commercial feed contains less than six and one‑half percent of mineral elements.
(ii) Guarantees for vitamins are not required when the commercial feed is neither formulated for nor represented in any manner as a vitamin supplement.
(iii) Guarantees for crude protein, crude fat, and crude fiber are not required when the commercial feed is intended for purposes other than to furnish these substances or they are of minor significance relating to the primary purpose of the product, such as drug premixes, mineral or vitamin supplements, and molasses;
(5) Feed ingredients or collective terms for the grouping of feed ingredients as provided under the provisions of Section 106‑284.35(1)(d) of the North Carolina Commercial Feed Law of 1973 shall be described as follows:
(a) the name of each ingredient as defined in the Official Definitions of Feed Ingredients published in the Official Publication of the Association of American Feed Control Officials, common or usual name, or one approved by the Board;
(b) collective terms for the grouping of feed ingredients as defined in the Official Definitions of Feed Ingredients published in the Official Publications of the Association of American Feed Control Officials in lieu of the individual ingredients; provided that:
(i) When a collective term for a group of ingredients is used on the label, individual ingredients within that group shall not be listed on the label.
(ii) The manufacturer shall provide the feed control official upon request, with a listing of individual ingredients, within a defined group, that are to be or have been used at manufacturing facilities distributing in or into the state;
(6) Name and principal mailing address of the manufacturer or person responsible for distributing the feed; The principal mailing address shall include the street address, city, state, and zip code; however, the street address may be omitted if it is shown in the current city directory or telephone directory;
(7) The information required in Section 106‑284.35(1)(a) to (e) of the North Carolina Commercial Feed Law of 1973 must appear in its entirety on one side of the label or on one side of the container. The information required by Section 106‑284.35(1)(f) to (g) of the North Carolina Commercial Feed Law of 1973 shall be displayed in a prominent place on the label or container but not necessarily on the same side as the above information. When the information required by Section 106‑284.35(1)(f) to (g) is placed on a different side of the label or container, it must be referenced on the front side with a statement such as "see back of label for directions for use". None of the information required by Section 106‑284.35 of the North Carolina Commercial Feed Law of 1973 shall be subordinated or obscured by other statements or designs.
History Note: Authority G.S. 106‑284.41;
Eff. February 1, 1976;
Amended Eff. December 20, 1980;
Pursuant to G.S. 150B-21.3A, rule is necessary without substantive public interest Eff. March 22, 2015.