02 NCAC 48A .0908 CONDITIONS GOVERNING MOVEMENT OF REGULATED ARTICLES
Regulated articles from quarantined areas may move in or into North Carolina only under the following conditions:
(1) To each package of sweet potatoes must be attached a tag issued by the authorized federal or state inspector certifying the following:
(a) that the sweet potatoes were fumigated in a fumigation chamber, approved by the state inspector, with methyl bromide or other approved fumigant at the proper dosage and time of exposure necessary to kill all stages of the weevil, and done under the supervision of the office of the Plant Pest Administrator:
(b) that the sweet potatoes are shipped immediately after being fumigated;
(c) that the car or truck was thoroughly cleaned before loading to prevent reinfestation.
(2) The shipper must notify the Plant Pest Administrator, North Carolina Department of Agriculture, Raleigh, North Carolina, at the time of shipment of the fumigated sweet potatoes giving consignee, destination, and size of shipment.
(3) No sweet potato plants, vines, cuttings or parts thereof shall be moved in or into the State of North Carolina from any regulated area.
(4) No sweet potatoes for seed or bedding purposes or plants will be stored in or shipped from a quarantined area.
(5) The Commissioner or his agent may allow regulated articles to move in North Carolina from a regulated area in North Carolina for processing purposes if it can be determined that no spread hazard exists under the shipping and processing conditions. Limited permits may be issued to cover movement of regulated articles to specified destinations for limited handling, utilization or processing when, in the judgment of the Commissioner or his agent, there is no spread hazard involved.
(6) The Commissioner or his agent may adopt and enforce regulations for the transit of regulated articles through nonquarantined areas of North Carolina in sealed trucks enroute to safe markets that will accept such articles for immediate consumption.
(7) Regulated articles originating outside the regulated area may move through or be reshipped from the regulated area when the point of origin is clearly indicated, when their identity has been maintained, and when the articles have been protected from contamination by the sweet potato weevil while in the regulated area.
(8) Certificates for movement of regulated articles will be issued when the article meets requirements for growth, handling and movement as is set forth in these Regulations.
(9) Sweet potatoes or other regulated articles, products or items for experimental use or for propagation under the supervision of a state agency may be introduced under special permit when the Plant Pest Administrator considers such importations safe under such precautions as he shall specify.
History Note: Authority G.S. 106‑65.45; 106‑65.46; 106‑284.18; 106‑420;
Eff. January 1, 1985;
Pursuant to G.S. 150B-21.3A, rule is necessary without substantive public interest Eff. March 24, 2019.