(a)  No person shall feed garbage to swine without first obtaining a permit therefor from the North Carolina Commissioner of Agriculture; provided that a permit is not required of any individual who feeds only his own household garbage to his own swine. Applications for permits to feed garbage shall be made in writing on forms furnished by the State Veterinarian and shall include the name and address of the applicant, the location of the feeding premises, number of swine usually fed, origin of garbage collected, type of collecting and cooking equipment and similar information. The Commissioner of Agriculture or his authorized agent, the State Veterinarian, may require a survey of the garbage‑feeding premises and equipment, by a state or federal inspector, prior to issuing the permit.

(b)  It is the policy of the Veterinary Division that in all cases, a survey of garbage feeding premises and equipment is made prior to issuance of a permit.


History Note:        Authority G.S. 106‑405.2; 106‑405.8;

Eff. April 1, 1984;

Pursuant to G.S. 150B-21.3A, rule is necessary without substantive public interest Eff. March 26, 2017.