02 NCAC 52J .0605 CHAMBER REQUIREMENTS
(a) A euthanasia chamber in a certified facility shall be located in a well-ventilated place, preferably outdoors.
(b) The chamber shall be in good working order.
(c) The chamber shall have strong airtight seals around the doors and viewports.
(d) The chamber shall have at least one port for viewing of the animals during euthanasia.
(e) The chamber shall be lit sufficiently to allow observation of an animal in any part of the chamber.
(f) Any chamber electrical wiring or components exposed to carbon monoxide must be warranted by the manufacturer to be explosion proof.
(g) Any light inside of the chamber shall be shatterproof.
(h) The chamber shall use exhaust ventilation to evacuate the gas from the chamber before the doors are opened upon completion of the process.
(i) If the chamber is located outdoors:
(1) The exhaust shall be vented at least eight feet above ground level.
(2) The minimum stack velocity shall be at least 3,000 feet per minute;
(3) If there is a roof above the chamber, the exhaust shall be vented at least three feet above the highest point of the roof; and
(4) The exhaust shall not be located within eight feet of any building air intakes.
(j) If the chamber is located indoors:
(1) The exhaust shall be vented to the outdoors at least three feet above the highest point of the roof;
(2) The exhaust shall not be located within eight feet of any building air intakes;
(3) The minimum stack velocity shall be at least 3,000 feet per minute; and
(4) At least two carbon monoxide detectors shall be placed in the room.
History Note: Authority G.S. 19A-24;
Eff. March 23, 2009.