04 NCAC 03B .0226 PRE-HEARING CONFERENCE
(a) If the hearing officer determines that to do so would aid in the prompt and efficient resolution of any contested case, the hearing officer may order that the parties attend a pre-hearing conference. The notice of the conference shall either be included in the document referred to in Rule .0224(a) of this Section or in a separate written order. The purpose of a pre-hearing conference is to:
(1) explore any grounds upon which a contested case may be resolved without the need for a hearing;
(2) determine the scope of discovery each party wishes to pursue;
(3) exchange exhibits and other evidence;
(4) reach stipulations or other agreements; and
(5) pursue any other matters which will reduce the cost, save time, simplify the issues to be heard, or otherwise aid in the expeditious disposition of the matters to be addressed by the hearing.
(b) The pre-hearing conference may be conducted informally between the parties. At the request of either party, the pre-hearing conference may be conducted by a member of the Commissioner's legal staff.
History Note: Authority G.S. 53C-2-2; 53C-2-6(c); 150B-41(c);
Eff. August 1, 2004;
Pursuant to G.S. 150B-21.3A, rule is necessary without substantive public interest Eff. October 3, 2017.