07 NCAC 13F .0304 MANAGEMENT OF SCENIC RIVER AREAS
(a) A scenic river area shall be managed so as to maintain and provide outdoor recreation opportunities in the near‑natural setting. Diversity and volume of recreational use will dictate more intensive management practices on segments designated as scenic.
(b) Reasonable restraints on allowable volumes of use may be employed.
(1) Facilities at access points may include any of those allowed at public access on natural rivers listed in Rule .0303(c) of this Section plus campgrounds, interpretative, and administrative facilities.
(2) Scenic rivers can have roads paralleling some portions of the river. Where such roads are public, they may be designated as scenic roads. Overlooks, roadside picnic areas, and undeveloped tent and trailer camping facilities may be developed.
(3) Recreational Facilities
(A) Boating facilities shall be similar to those found on natural river areas listed in Rule .0303(c) of this Section.
(B) Bicycle Facilities
(i) Bicycle rest areas may be provided and may be in conjunction with roadside picnic areas, overlooks, and rest stops for other activities.
(ii) Overnight camping facilities for cyclists may be provided at appropriate intervals.
(1) Direct vehicular access may be permitted at appropriate points along a scenic river.
(2) Access facilities for boating and floating may be permitted at intermediate points along the river.
(3) Motorized vehicles shall be allowed on designated sections of the land area.
(e) Activities. Activities consistent with the management of a scenic river in the system are the same as those for a natural river area listed in Rule .0303(c) of this Section plus scenic driving and bicycling.
(f) Integrated public and private investments on designated scenic river areas shall be encouraged.
History Note: Authority G.S. 143B-135.156;
Eff. April 4, 1979;
Transferred from 15A NCAC 12F .0304 Eff. April 1, 2017.