subchapter 06d – government data analytics center
SECTION .0100 – NORTH CAROLINA EDUCATION LONGITUDINAL DATA SYSTEM
09 NCAC 06D .0101 DEFINITIONS
In addition to the definitions set forth in G.S. 116E-1, the following definitions shall apply to the rules in this Section:
(1) "Aggregated" means the result of the collection and combination of data about a group of individuals that has been de-identified. Aggregated data can be used for the purposes of making comparisons or identifying patterns within or among groups of subjects or individuals. An example of aggregated data is the number of high school graduates from Wake County who graduated from the University of North Carolina System with a Bachelor of Science in Engineering within the past three years and their average salary.
(2) "Applicable law" means all statutes and rules of North Carolina and all relevant United States federal statutes and regulations pertaining to the protection of privacy and security of confidential data. Applicable law includes the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, 20 U.S.C. 1232g; the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, 42 U.S.C. 300gg, 29 U.S.C 1181 et seq., and 42 USC 1320d et seq.; the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act, 29 U.S.C. Ch. 32; and all regulations promulgated thereunder.
(3) "Contributor" means an entity that discloses Data to the System. The Contributors may be one or more of the entities specified in G.S. 116E-5(d)(1).
(4) "Data" means early childhood data, student data as defined in G.S. 116E-1(4), workforce data as defined in G.S. 116E-1(7), or other personally identifying data disclosed by the Contributors to the System and any data released from the System in response to data requests.
(5) "Early Childhood" means the time period in an individual's life from birth to age eight.
(6) "GDAC" means the Government Data Analytics Center, which has the authority to operate and oversee the System pursuant to G.S. 116E-4.
(7) "North Carolina Education Longitudinal Data System" or "System" means the system referenced in G.S. 116E-5.
(8) "Report" means the de-identified or aggregated information, data extract, or data file generated by the System using Data on a specified group of students, workforce members, or both, to fulfill a Request.
(9) "Request" means an inquiry for a Report containing information on a specified group of students, workforce members, or both from the System by a Requestor
(10) "Requestor" means an entity or individual that makes a Request to the System for a Report. A Requestor may also be a Contributor.
History Note: Authority G.S. 143B-1321(a)(16); 116E-4(b);
Eff. January 1, 2021.