10A NCAC 01B .0204 DEFINITIONS
(a) "Administrative Review" means a process by which a division ensures that a local human service agency has complied with the standards established in this Subchapter or pursuant to this Subchapter.
(b) "Contract" means any agreement, memorandum or other written document that describes the basis for the distribution of state or federal funds by an agency of the department to any person, corporation, or government agency, whenever:
(1) the principal purpose of the agreement is the acquisition, by purchase, lease, or barter of property or services for the direct benefit or use of the department or third parties;
(2) the Secretary of the department determines that the use of purchase and contract procedures is appropriate.
(c) "Contractor" means any person, corporation, or government agency who receives funds from the department for performance of a contract.
(d) "Division" means the organizational unit of the Department of Human Resources, as created by G.S. 143B‑140, that has the functional responsibility for the local human service agency.
(e) "Equipment" means tangible nonexpendable personal property having a useful life of more than one year and a unit acquisition cost of five thousand dollars ($5,000) or more per unit. A local human services agency may use its own definition of equipment, provided that such definition would at least include all equipment defined above.
(f) "Grant" means any agreement, memorandum or other written document that describes the terms and conditions for distribution of state or federal financial assistance by an agency of the department to any government agency, corporation, or person acting as a human service agency, whenever:
(1) the principal purpose of the agreement is the transfer of money, property, services or anything of value for the purpose of assisting the department in carrying out a public program or other public purpose; and
(2) payments are limited to allowable cost authorized or incurred and no profit is intended or allowed.
(g) "Grantor Division" refers to the Division of the Department of Human Resources providing funds to a local human service agency.
(h) "Governing board" means the local authority designated by law, to approve local human service agency budgets and govern the agency's operations.
(i) "Local human service agency" means any legal entity which has responsibility for carrying out any of the human service programs of the Department of Human Resources as provided by law or the terms of a grant or other assistance agreement.
(j) "Internal control" is a system which consists of all measures employed by an entity for the purpose of:
(1) safeguarding its resources against waste, fraud and inefficiency;
(2) promoting accuracy and reliability in accounting and operating data;
(3) encouraging and measuring compliance with laws, rules, regulations, and policy; and
(4) promoting the efficiency of operations.
History Note: Authority G.S. 143B‑10(e) and (j); 143B‑139.1;
Eff. July 1, 1980;
Amended Eff. November 1, 1989.