10A NCAC 13B .3803 NURSING POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
(a) Nursing policies and procedures shall be available to the nursing staff in each nursing care unit and service area and shall include the following:
(1) method of noting diagnostic and therapeutic orders;
(2) method of assigning nursing care of patients;
(3) infection control measures;
(4) patient safety measurers; and
(5) method of implementing orders for medication or treatment.
(b) Each unit shall have relevant clinical reference materials available. The following shall be provided to each unit:
(1) a facility formulary or comparable drug reference;
(2) a policy and procedure manual; and
(3) a medical dictionary.
(c) The facility shall provide a program of inservice education which shall be maintained and documented for all nursing staff personnel. Annual inservices shall include infection control measures, cardiopulmonary resuscitation and fire and safety.
(d) Nursing care policies and procedures shall be reviewed at least every three years by the nursing staff and facility management and revised as necessary. They shall include the date to indicate the time of the most recent review or revision.
History Note: Authority G.S. 131E-79;
Eff. January 1, 1996;
Pursuant to G.S. 150B-21.3A, rule is necessary without substantive public interest Eff. July 22, 2017.