10A NCAC 13D .3102 APPLICATION OF PHYSICAL PLANT REQUIREMENTS
The physical plant requirements for each facility shall be applied as follows:
(1) New construction shall comply with the requirements of Sections .3100‑.3400 of this Subchapter.
(2) Except where otherwise specified, existing buildings shall meet licensure and code requirements in effect at the time of construction, alteration or modification.
(3) New additions, alterations, modifications and repairs shall meet the technical requirements of Sections .3100‑.3400 of this Subchapter; however, where strict conformance with current requirements would be impractical, the Division may approve alternative measures where the facility can demonstrate to the Division's satisfaction that the alternative measures do not reduce the safety or operating effectiveness of the facility.
(4) Rules contained in Sections .3100‑.3400 of this Subchapter are minimum requirements and are not intended to prohibit buildings, systems or operational conditions that exceed minimum requirements.
(5) Equivalency: Alternate methods, procedures, design criteria and functional variations from the physical plant requirements, because of extraordinary circumstances, new programs or unusual conditions, may be approved by the Division when the facility can effectively demonstrate to the Division's satisfaction, that the intent of the physical plant requirements are met and that the variation does not reduce the safety or operational effectiveness of the facility.
(6) Where rules, codes or standards have any conflict, the most stringent requirement shall apply.
History Note: Authority G.S. 131E‑104;
Eff. January 1, 1996;
Pursuant to G.S. 150B-21.3A, rule is necessary without substantive public interest Eff. March 22, 2015.