10a NCAC 13F .0307 FIRE ALARM SYSTEM
(a) The fire alarm system in adult care homes shall be able to transmit the fire alarm signal automatically to the local emergency fire department dispatch center, either directly or through a central station monitoring company connection.
(b) Any applicable fire safety requirements required by city ordinances or county building inspectors shall be provided.
(c) In a facility licensed before April 1, 1984 and constructed prior to January 1, 1975, the building, in addition to meeting the requirements of the North Carolina State Building Code in effect at the time the building was constructed, shall be provided with the following:
(1) A fire alarm system with pull stations within five feet of each exit and sounding devices which are audible throughout the building;
(2) Products of combustion (smoke) U/L listed detectors in all corridors. The detectors shall be no more than 60 feet from each other and no more than 30 feet from any end wall;
(3) Heat detectors or products of combustion detectors in all storage rooms, kitchens, living rooms, dining rooms and laundries;
(4) All detection systems interconnected with the fire alarm system; and
(5) Emergency power for the fire alarm system, heat detection system, and products of combustion detection with automatic start generator or trickle charge battery system capable of operating the fire alarm systems for 24 hours and able to sound the alarm for five minutes at the end of that time. Emergency egress lights and exit signs shall be powered from an automatic start generator or a U/L approved trickle charge battery system capable of operation for 1-1/2 hours when normal power fails.
(d) When any facility not equipped with a complete automatic fire extinguishment system replaces the fire alarm system, each bedroom shall be provided with smoke detectors. Other building spaces shall be provided with such fire detection devices as required by the North Carolina State Building Code and requirements of this Subchapter.
History Note: Authority G.S. 131D‑2; 143B-165; S.L. 2002-0160; 2003-0284;
Eff. January 1, 1977;
Readopted Eff. October 31, 1977;
Amended Eff. April 1, 1984;
Recodified from Rule .0305 Eff. July 1, 2004;
Temporary Amendment Eff. July 1, 2004;
Amended Eff. July 1, 2005.