10A NCAC 13F .0311 OTHER REQUIREMENTS
(a) The building and all fire safety, electrical, mechanical, and plumbing equipment in an adult care home shall be maintained in a safe and operating condition.
(b) There shall be a heating system sufficient to maintain 75 degrees F (24 degrees C) under winter design conditions. In addition, the following shall apply to heaters and cooking appliances.
(1) Built-in electric heaters, if used, shall be installed or protected so as to avoid burn hazards to residents and room furnishings.
(2) Unvented fuel burning room heaters and portable electric heaters are prohibited.
(3) Fireplaces, fireplace inserts and wood stoves shall be designed or installed so as to avoid a burn hazard to residents. Fireplace inserts and wood stoves shall be U.L. listed.
(4) Ovens, ranges and cook tops located in resident activity or recreational areas shall not be used except under facility staff supervision. The degree of staff supervision shall be based on the facility's assessment of the capabilities of each resident. The operation of the equipment shall have a locking feature provided, that shall be controlled by staff.
(5) Ovens, ranges and cook tops located in resident rooms shall have a locking feature provided, controlled by staff, to limit the use of the equipment by residents who have been assessed by the facility to be incapable of operating the equipment in a safe manner.
(c) Air conditioning or at least one fan per resident bedroom and living and dining areas shall be provided when the temperature in the main center corridor exceeds 80 degrees F (26.7 degrees C).
(d) The hot water system shall be of such size to provide an adequate supply of hot water to the kitchen, bathrooms, laundry, housekeeping closets and soil utility room. The hot water temperature at all fixtures used by residents shall be maintained at a minimum of 100 degrees F (38 degrees C) and shall not exceed 116 degrees F (46.7 degrees C).
(e) All multi-story facilities shall be equipped with elevators.
(f) In addition to the required emergency lighting, minimum lighting shall be as follows:
(1) 30 foot-candle power for reading;
(2) 10 foot-candle power for general lighting; and
(3) 1 foot-candle power at the floor for corridors at night.
(g) The spaces listed in this Paragraph shall be provided with exhaust ventilation at the rate of two cubic feet per minute per square foot. This requirement does not apply to facilities licensed before April 1, 1984, with natural ventilation in these specified spaces:
(1) soiled linen storage;
(2) soil utility room;
(3) bathrooms and toilet rooms;
(4) housekeeping closets; and
(5) laundry area.
(h) In facilities licensed for 7-12 residents, an electrically operated call system shall be provided connecting each resident bedroom to the live-in staff bedroom. The resident call system activator shall be such that they can be activated with a single action and remain on until deactivated by staff at the point of origin. The call system activator shall be within reach of the resident lying on the bed.
(i) In newly licensed facilities without live-in staff, an electrically operated call system shall be provided connecting each resident bedroom and bathroom to a staff station. The resident call system activator shall be such that they can be activated with a single action and remain on until deactivated by staff at the point of origin. The call system activator shall be within reach of the resident lying on the bed.
(j) Except where otherwise specified, existing facilities housing persons unable to evacuate without staff assistance shall provide those residents with hand bells or other signaling devices.
(k) This Rule shall apply to new and existing facilities with the exception of Paragraph (e) which shall not apply to existing facilities.
History Note: Authority G.S. 131D-2.16; 143B-165;
Eff. January 1, 1977;
Readopted Eff. October 31, 1977;
Amended Eff. July 1, 1990; April 1, 1987; April 1, 1984;
Temporary Amendment Eff. December 1, 1999;
Amended Eff. July 1, 2000;
Recodified from Rule .0309 Eff. July 1, 2004;
Temporary Amendment Eff. July 1, 2004;
Amended Eff. July 1, 2005.