10A NCAC 13F .1404 SPECIAL CARE UNIT BUILDING REQUIREMENTS
In addition to meeting all applicable building codes and licensure regulations for adult care homes, the special care unit shall meet the following building requirements:
(1) Plans for new or renovated construction or conversion of existing building areas shall be submitted to the Construction Section of the Division of Health Service Regulation for review and approval. No special care unit for residents with a mental health disability shall serve more than 12 residents. A facility shall have no more than one special care unit for residents with a mental health disability.
(2) If the special care unit is a portion of a facility, it shall be separated from the rest of the building by closed doors.
(3) Unit exit doors may be locked only if the locking devices meet the requirements outlined in the N.C. State Building Code for special locking devices.
(4) Where exit doors are not locked, a system of security monitoring shall be provided.
(5) The unit shall be located so that other residents, staff and visitors do not have to routinely pass through the unit to reach other areas of the building.
(6) At a minimum the following service areas shall be provided within the special care unit: staff work area, nourishment station for the preparation and provision of snacks, and lockable space for medication storage.
(7) Living and dining space shall be provided within the unit at a total rate of 30 square feet per resident and may be used as an activity area.
(8) Direct access to an outside area shall be provided.
(9) A toilet and hand lavatory shall be provided within the unit for every five residents.
(10) A tub and shower for residents' bathing shall be provided within the unit.
History Note: Authority G.S. 131D-2.16; 131D-4.5; 131D-4.6; 131D-8; 143B-165;
Temporary Adoption Eff. December 1, 1999;
Eff. July 1, 2000.