10A NCAC 13J .1109 CLINICAL RESPIRATORY SERVICES, INCLUDING PULMONARY, OR VENTILATION SERVICES
(a) If an agency provides clinical respiratory services or ventilation services, the services shall be provided by or under the supervision of a respiratory therapist or a registered nurse with demonstrated competency in the delivery of respiratory services under a plan of care signed by a physician. Within the agency's defined scope of service, respiratory staff, including contractors, shall maintain an active license, certification or registry and shall demonstrate proof of education and experience sufficient for the safe delivery of service.
(b) Clinical respiratory services shall include the following:
(1) assessment of the client's ongoing need for services;
(2) teach and train client or caregivers to self‑administer home respiratory care procedures;
(3) collect laboratory specimens;
(4) evaluate functioning of ventilator support equipment;
(5) evaluate functioning of infant monitors; and
(6) when ordered by a physician, administration of aerosolized medication.
(c) If an agency provides these services, the agency shall provide on‑call respiratory services emergency response on a 24 hour basis, seven days a week.
History Note: Authority G.S. 131E‑140;
Eff. July 1, 1992;
RRC Objection due to lack of statutory authority and ambiguity Eff. November 16, 1995;
Amended Eff. February 1, 1996.