SECTION .0400 - MEDICAL OVERSIGHT
10a ncac 13p .0401 COMPONENTS OF MEDICAL OVERSIGHT FOR EMS SYSTEMS
Each EMS System shall have the following components in place to assure medical oversight of the system:
(1) a medical director for adult and pediatric patients appointed, either directly or by written delegation, by the county responsible for establishing the EMS System. Systems may elect to appoint one or more assistant medical directors. The medical director and assistant medical directors shall meet the criteria defined in the "North Carolina College of Emergency Physicians: Standards for Medical Oversight and Data Collection," incorporated by reference in accordance with G.S. 150B-21.6, including subsequent amendments and editions. This document is available from the OEMS, 2707 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, North Carolina 27699-2707, at no cost;
(2) written treatment protocols for adult and pediatric patients for use by EMS personnel;
(3) for systems providing EMD service, an EMDPRS approved by the medical director;
(4) an EMS Peer Review Committee; and
(5) written procedures for use by EMS personnel to obtain on-line medical direction. On-line medical direction shall:
(a) be restricted to medical orders that fall within the scope of practice of the EMS personnel and within the scope of approved system treatment protocols;
(b) be provided only by a physician, MICN, EMS-NP, or EMS-PA. Only physicians may deviate from written treatment protocols; and
(c) be provided by a system of two-way voice communication that can be maintained throughout the treatment and disposition of the patient.
History Note: Authority G.S. 143‑508(b); 143-509(12);
Temporary Adoption Eff. January 1, 2002;
Eff. April 1, 2003;
Amended Eff. January 1, 2009; January 1, 2004;
Pursuant to G.S. 150B-21.3A, rule is necessary without substantive public interest Eff. February 2, 2016.