10A ncac 14C .1703 PERFORMANCE STANDARDS
(a) An applicant that proposes to develop open-heart surgery services shall:
(1) demonstrate that the projected utilization and proposed staffing patterns are such that each open heart surgical team shall perform at least 150 open heart surgical procedures in the third year following completion of the project; and
(2) document the assumptions and provide data supporting the methodology used to make these projections.
(b) An applicant that proposes to acquire a heart-lung bypass machine shall demonstrate either:
(1) that the applicant's projected annual utilization of its existing, approved, and proposed heart-lung bypass machines (other than a machine acquired pursuant to 10A NCAC 14C .1703(b)(3)) will be at least 200 open heart surgical procedures per machine during the third year following completion of the project;
(2) that the projected annual utilization of its existing, approved, and proposed heart-lung bypass machines (other than a machine acquired pursuant to 10A NCAC 14C .1703(b)(3)), will be at least 900 hours per year during the third year following completion of the project, as measured in minutes used or staffed on standby for all procedures; or
(3) that the proposed machine is needed to provide coverage for open-heart surgery emergencies and will not be scheduled for use at the same time as the applicant's equipment used to support scheduled open heart surgical procedures.
History Note: Authority G.S. 131E-177(1); 131E-183(b);
Eff. January 1, 1987;
Amended Eff. November 1, 1989;
Temporary Amendment Eff. September 1, 1993 for a period of 180 days or until the permanent rule becomes effective, whichever is sooner;
Amended Eff. January 4, 1994;
Temporary Amendment January 1, 1999;
Temporary Eff. January 1, 1999 expired October 12, 1999;
Temporary Amendment Eff. January 1, 2000 and shall expire on the date the permanent amendment to this rule, approved by the Rules Review Commission on November 17, 1999, becomes effective;
Amended Eff. July 1, 2000;
Temporary Amendment Eff. January 1, 2002;
Amended Eff. April 1, 2003;
Temporary Amendment Eff. February 1, 2010;
Amended Eff. January 1, 2013; November 1, 2010.