10A NCAC 14J .0203 CONTENTS OF OPERATIONS MANUAL
(a) The operations manual shall include written policies and procedures that address the following areas:
(1) administration and management;
(2) admissions, transportation and release;
(4) security and supervision;
(5) inmate rules and discipline;
(6) management of special inmates;
(7) legal rights of inmates;
(8) health, mental health, mental retardation and substance abuse services;
(9) food services;
(10) program services;
(11) work release;
(12) opportunities for exercise;
(13) access to legal assistance or legal materials;
(14) grievance procedures;
(15) visitation and mail policies;
(16) religious activities;
(18) emergency plans.
(b) The most recent editions of the following references are available as guides for developing policies and procedures:
(1) Appalachian State University, Model Policies and Procedures Manual for North Carolina Jails;
(2) American Correctional Association, Standards for Adult Local Detention Facilities;
(3) American Correctional Association, Standards for Small Jails;
(4) National Commission on Correctional Health Care, Standards for Health Services in Jails.
These references shall be available for inspection or loan from the Section. Consultation and technical assistance shall be available from the Section. The Section can also provide information regarding outside agencies with additional resources for developing policies and procedures.
History Note: Authority G.S. 153A‑221;
Eff. June 1, 1990.