SUBCHAPTER 14L – STROKE CENTER DESIGNATION
SECTION .0100 – DEFINITIONS
10a ncac 14L .0101 DEFINITIONS
The following definitions apply throughout this Subchapter:
(1) "Acute Stroke Care" means the process for the assessment and treatment of patients experiencing an acute cerebrovascular accident.
(2) "Acute Stroke Ready" means a hospital that has satisfied all requirements for certification as an acute stroke ready hospital from a nationally recognized hospital accrediting organization.
(3) "Catchment Area" means the geographical area from which a hospital's patients are drawn.
(4) "Comprehensive Stroke Care" means care provided by hospitals that meet or exceed the requirements put forward by nationally-recognized hospital accrediting organizations and have developed the infrastructure, staff, and training necessary to receive and treat patients with the most complex stroke cases, including advanced imaging capabilities, 24 hours per day, seven days per week, with availability of specialized treatments, and staff with the unique education and competencies to care for complex stroke patients through the certification process required by accrediting organizations.
(5) "Comprehensive Stroke Center" means a hospital that has satisfied all requirements for certification from a nationally recognized hospital certifying organization for the provision of comprehensive stroke care.
(6) "Conditional Designation" means a hospital that is pursuing certification but has not satisfied all certification requirements of the national accrediting body to qualify for Comprehensive Stroke Center or Primary Stroke Center or Acute Stroke Ready Hospital designation.
(7) "Department" means the Department of Health and Human Services.
(8) "Designated Stroke Center" means a hospital that has presented evidence to the Department of current certification by a national accrediting organization as a Comprehensive Stroke Center or Primary Stroke Center or Acute Stroke Ready Hospital.
(9) "Designation" means the recognition by the Department of a hospital's certification by a nationally recognized hospital certifying organization for the provision of stroke care as set forth in Items (2), (5), and (13) of this Rule.
(10) "EMS System" means those entities that are approved by the Department in accordance with 10A NCAC 13P .0201 of the EMS and Trauma rules.
(11) "EMS Provider" means those entities defined in G.S. 131E-155(13a) that hold a current license issued by the Department pursuant to G.S. 131E-155.1.
(12) "Office of Emergency Medical Services (OEMS)" means a section of the Division of Health Service Regulation of the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services located at 1201 Umstead Drive, Raleigh, North Carolina 27603.
(13) "Primary Stroke Center" means a hospital that has satisfied all requirements for certification from a nationally recognized hospital accrediting organization for the provision of acute stroke care.
History Note: Authority G.S. 143B-10; 131E-78.5;
Eff. February 1, 2015.