10A NCAC 15 .1311 DESIGN: PERFORMANCE: AND CERTIFICATION CRITERIA
(a) Each sealed source used in downhole operations, except those containing radioactive material in gaseous form, shall meet the following minimum criteria:
(1) be of doubly encapsulated construction;
(2) contain radioactive material whose chemical and physical forms are as insoluble and non‑dispersible as practical; and
(3) meet the requirements in Paragraphs (b), (c) and (d) of this Rule.
(b) For a sealed source manufactured on or before July 14, 1989, a licensee may use the sealed source for downhole operations if it meets the requirements of USASI N5.10-1968, "Classification of Sealed Radioactive Sources," or the requirements in Paragraphs (c) and (d) of this Rule.
(c) For a sealed source manufactured after July 14, 1989, a licensee may use the sealed source for downhole operations if it meets the oil-well logging requirements of ANSI/HPS N43.6-1977, "Sealed Radioactive Sources, Classification."
(d) For a sealed source manufactured after July 14, 1989, a licensee may use the source for downhole operations if the sealed source's prototype has been tested and found to maintain its integrity after being subjected to each of the following tests:
(1) The test source shall be held at -40° C for 20 minutes, 600° C for one hour, and then be subjected to a thermal shock test with a temperature drop from 600° C to 20° C within 15 seconds;
(2) A 5 kg steel hammer, 2.5 cm in diameter, shall be dropped from a height of 1 meter onto the test source;
(3) The test source shall be subjected to a vibration from 25 Hz to 500 Hz at 5 g amplitude for 30 minutes;
(4) A 1 gram hammer and pin, 0.3 cm pin diameter, shall be dropped from a height of 1 meter onto the test source; and
(5) The test source shall be subjected to an external pressure of 24,600 pounds per square inch absolute (1.695x107 pascals).
(e) The requirements of Paragraphs (a) through (d) of this Rule do not apply to energy compensation sources (ECSs).
History Note: Authority G.S. 104E‑7;
Eff. June 1, 1989;
Amended Eff. January 1, 2005;
Transferred and Recodified from 15A NCAC 11 .1311 Eff. February 1, 2015.