10A NCAC 15 .1502 DEFINITIONS
(a) As used in this Section, the following definitions shall apply.
(1) "Carrier" means any person transporting radioactive waste in North Carolina for the purpose of disposal at a low‑level radioactive waste disposal facility located in North Carolina.
(2) "Collector" means any person who collects or consolidates prepared packages of low‑level radioactive waste from another site access licensee and arranges for the transportation of such waste to a disposal facility located in North Carolina.
(3) "Generator" means any person who produces low‑level radioactive waste which will be transferred for disposal at a low‑level radioactive waste disposal facility located in North Carolina, including indirect transfer through collectors or processors.
(4) "Low‑level radioactive waste" means low‑level radioactive waste as defined in Rule .1202 of this Chapter.
(5) "Low‑Level radioactive waste disposal facility" means any facility operated pursuant to G.S. 104G for the purpose of low‑level radioactive waste disposal and licensed pursuant to Section .1200 of this Chapter.
(6) "Manifest" means the document used for identifying the quantity, composition, origin and destination of low‑level radioactive waste during its transport to a disposal facility.
(7) "Processor" means any person who receives low‑level radioactive waste or radioactively contaminated material from another site access licensee for the purpose of repackaging or treatment, including, but not limited to, compaction, incineration, decontamination or resource recovery, prior to transfer to a disposal facility located in North Carolina.
(8) "Radioactive material license" means any license issued by the agency, an agreement state or the U. S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission which authorizes activities which may generate waste.
(9) "Shipment" means the total low‑level radioactive waste transported in a single conveyance as defined in 49 CFR § 173.403.
(10) "Shipper" means any person who holds a valid site access license and prepares low‑level radioactive waste for transport to a low‑level radioactive waste disposal facility located in North Carolina.
(11) "Site access license" means a license issued pursuant to the rules in this Section.
(12) "Solidifying" means that process by which liquid wastes or wastes containing liquids are converted into an acceptable stable form as defined in Rule .1651 of this Chapter.
(13) "Southeast Compact" means the Southeast Interstate Low‑Level Radioactive Waste Management Compact as set out in G.S. 104F.
(14) "Stabilizing" means that process by which radioactive wastes are prepared to meet the stability requirements as defined in Rule .1651 of this Chapter.
(15) "Transport" means the movement of low‑level radioactive waste in North Carolina for the purpose of disposal at a low‑level radioactive waste disposal facility located in North Carolina.
(16) "Waste" means "low‑level radioactive waste".
(b) Definitions of other words and phrases used in this Section are set forth in other sections of this Chapter.
History Note: Authority G.S. 104E‑5; 104E‑7; 104E‑10.3; 104E‑27;
Eff. January 1, 1995;
Transferred and Recodified from 15A NCAC 11 .1502 Eff. February 1, 2015.