10A NCAC 15 .1611 DOSE LIMITS FOR INDIVIDUAL MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC
(a) Each licensee or registrant shall conduct operations so that:
(1) The total effective dose equivalent to individual members of the public from the licensed or registered operation does not exceed 0.1 rem (1 mSv) in a year exclusive of the dose contribution from background radiation from the licensee's disposal of radioactive material into sanitary sewerage in accordance with Rule .1630 of this Section, from any medical administration the individual has received, from exposure to individuals administered radioactive material and released in accordance with Rule .0358 of this Chapter and from voluntary participation in medical research programs; and
(2) The dose in any unrestricted area from external sources of radiation, exclusive of the dose contribution from patients administered radioactive material and released in accordance with Rule .0358 of this Chapter, does not exceed 0.002 rem (0.02 mSv) in any one hour.
(b) If the licensee or registrant permits members of the public to have access to controlled areas, the limits for members of the public continue to apply to those individuals.
(c) A licensee, registrant, license applicant or registration applicant may apply for and must receive agency authorization to operate up to an annual dose limit for an individual member of the public of 0.5 rem (5 mSv). The licensee, registrant, license applicant or registration applicant shall include the following information in this application:
(1) demonstration of the need for and the expected duration of operations in excess of the limit in Paragraph (a) of this Rule;
(2) the licensee's program to assess and control dose within the 0.5 rem (5 mSv) annual limit; and
(3) the procedures to be followed to maintain the dose as low as is reasonably achievable.
(d) The agency may impose additional restrictions on radiation levels in unrestricted areas and on the total quantity of radionuclides that a licensee may release in effluents in order to maintain the collective dose as low as reasonably achievable.
(e) Notwithstanding Subparagraph (a)(1) of this Rule, a licensee may permit visitors to an individual who cannot be released in accordance with Rule .0358 of this Section to receive a dose in excess of 0.1 rem (1 mSv) if:
(1) The radiation dose received does not exceed 0.5 rem (5 mSv); and
(2) The authorized user, as defined in Section .0300 of this Chapter had determined before the visit that it is appropriate.
History Note: Authority G.S. 104E-7(a)(2);
Eff. January 1, 1994;
Amended Eff. November 1, 2007; August 1, 1998;
Transferred and Recodified from 15A NCAC 11 .1611 Eff. February 1, 2015.