10A NCAC 17D .0206 eligibility
(a) The Division shall distribute equipment sets to eligible recipients within the limits of available funding.
(b) To be eligible for equipment from the TEDP, an individual must meet the following criteria:
(1) be a resident of North Carolina as defined in Rule .0209 of this Section; an individual can document residency by submitting a copy of one of the following items that shows the individual's name and address:
(A) A document issued by an agency of the United States;
(B) A document issued by another state;
(C) A document issued by the State of North Carolina, or a political subdivision of the State;
(D) A preprinted bank or other corporate statement;
(E) A preprinted business letterhead; or
(F) Any other document that the Division determines provides equivalent reliability;
(2) be certified as deaf, hard of hearing, deaf-blind, or speech-impaired. An individual must submit a Disability Determination form certified by one of the following:
(A) a licensed hearing-aid dealer and fitter as defined in G.S. 93D;
(B) a licensed audiologist or individual who is exempt from the licensure requirements in G.S. 90-294;
(C) a licensed physician as defined in G.S. 90, Article 1;
(D) a licensed speech and language pathologist;
(E) a state certified individual licensed as teacher of the deaf and hard of hearing by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction; or
(F) an employee of the Department of Health and Human Services that the Division assigns to certify disability for purposes of the Program;
(3) not have another person with a similar disability from the same household receive similar equipment from TEDP. Those applying for hearing aids are exempt from this requirement; and
(4) be in a family whose income, based on family size, is at or below 250 percent of the Poverty Guidelines in effect on the date of application. The Poverty Guidelines are published annually by the United States Department of Health and Human Services and are hereby incorporated by reference including subsequent amendments and editions. Copies can be obtained from http://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty/09poverty.shtml at no cost.
(c) An applicant who does not qualify under Rule .0210(b) of this Section may show proof of income by submitting a copy of any of the following for each source of income within the household:
(1) the most recent document such as Form W-2, Form 1099, or pay stub prepared by an employer, bank or other entity responsible for reporting wages or earnings;
(2) a letter from an employer on business letterhead stating gross income;
(3) the most recent state or federal income tax return;
(4) a document issued by an agency of the United States, the State of North Carolina, or other state; or
(5) any other document that the Division determines provides equivalent reliability.
(d) There is no age limit to be eligible for equipment. An individual may apply for himself/herself or for a child or dependent adult who lives in the same household.
History Note: Authority G.S. 62-157; 143B-216.33; 143B-216.34;
Eff. December 1, 1988;
Amended Eff. December 1, 2009; May 1, 2008; May 1, 2007; April 1, 1990;
Pursuant to G.S. 150B-21.3A, rule is necessary without substantive public interest Eff. May 20, 2017.