10a NCAC 27g .0502 AREA PROGRAM/HOSPITAL AGREEMENT
(a) Each area program shall make provisions for inpatient services for individuals with mental illness or substance abuse disorders, including access for both voluntary and involuntary admissions. The area program may provide these services, develop written agreements, or have written referral procedures to a general hospital or private hospital, to ensure that both voluntary and involuntary clients shall have access to needed inpatient services.
(b) A written agreement between the area program and a general hospital or private hospital shall specify at least the following:
(1) criteria for service availability for area program patients;
(2) responsibilities of both parties related to admission, treatment, and discharge of patients;
(3) parties responsible for the operation of the inpatient service;
(4) responsibilities of each party regarding continuity of service for patients discharged from the inpatient service; and
(5) provision for the exchange of information.
(c) When services are provided out of state, the written agreement shall be approved by DMH/DD/SAS. DMH/DD/SAS shall review the agreement to ensure compliance with Paragraph (b) of this Rule and to determine that comparable services suitable to meet the client's needs are not available in the state.
History Note: Authority G.S. 143B‑147;
Eff. May 1, 1996.