10a NCAC 27g .5102 STAFF
(a) The Program Director shall be either:
(1) a graduate of a college or university with a four-year degree in human service-related field; or
(2) a high school graduate or equivalent with at least three years of experience in human service programming.
(b) It shall be the responsibility of the Program Director to determine the appropriate ages of staff to provide respite services.
(c) The following minimum staff requirements apply to community center-based respites:
(1) During waking hours, in a facility that serves four or more clients, a minimum of two staff members shall be on duty when five or fewer clients are in the facility. If more than five clients are being served, a minimum ratio of one staff member for every additional five or fewer clients shall be maintained.
(2) During waking hours, in a facility that serves three or fewer clients, a minimum of two staff members shall be on duty unless emergency backup procedures are sufficient to allow only one staff member on duty.
(3) During sleeping hours, a minimum of two staff members shall be available in the immediate area unless emergency backup procedures are sufficient to allow only one staff member on duty.
(4) On occasions when only one client is in the facility, a minimum of one staff member shall be on duty during waking and sleeping hours.
(d) In a private home respite, at least one respite provider approved according to guidelines established by the governing body and who has a basic understanding of the client's disability shall supervise the client at all times.
History Note: Authority G.S. 122C‑26; 143B‑147;
Eff. May 1, 1996.