10a NCAC 27g .6002 STAFF
(a) Each facility shall delineate in writing the numbers and qualification of its personnel.
(b) Each facility shall have a designated director. The director shall be an individual who is a graduate of a college or university and who meets at least one of the following additional qualification criteria:
(1) has an advanced degree in a human service field and two years of management or supervisory experience in inpatient mental health services; or
(2) has a bachelor's degree in a human service field and four years of management or supervisory experience in inpatient mental health services; or
(3) has an advanced degree in a field related to the management of health care facilities and two years of management experience in inpatient mental health services.
(c) Each facility shall have a designated medical director. In a substance abuse facility, the medical director shall be a physician with at least two years experience in the treatment of substance abuse.
(d) A physician shall be present in the facility or on call 24 hours per day.
(e) A physician shall supervise the treatment of each client.
(f) Staff coverage in a psychiatric facility shall include at least one of each of the following:
(2) licensed practicing psychologist;
(3) psychiatric social worker;
(4) psychiatric nurse; and
(5) the services of a qualified mental health professional readily available by telephone or page.
(g) Staff Coverage in a substance abuse facility shall include at a minimum:
(1) one full-time certified alcoholism, drug abuse or substance abuse counselor for every 10 or fewer clients. If the facility falls below this prescribed ratio and is unable to employ an individual who is certified because of unavailability of certified persons in the facility's hiring area, then it may employ an uncertified person, provided that this employee meets the certification requirements within a maximum of 26 months from the date of his employment;
(2) at least one registered nurse on duty during each shift;
(3) at least two direct care staff members on duty at all times;
(4) one direct care staff member for each 20 or fewer clients on duty at all times in facilities serving adults;
(5) a minimum of one staff member for each five or fewer minor clients on duty during the hours 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.; and
(6) at least one staff member on duty trained in substance abuse withdrawal and symptoms of secondary complications to substance abuse.
History Note: Authority G.S. 122C-26; 143B-147;
Eff. May 1, 1996;
Temporary Amendment Eff. January 3, 2001;
Amended Eff. August 1, 2002.