10A NCAC 28F .0702 DEFINITIONS
For the purpose of the rules in this Section, the following terms shall have the meanings specified:
(1) "Certified interpreter" means an interpreter who is certified by the National Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (NRID), or has received an A or B degree in the North Carolina Interpreter Classification System.
(2) "Clinical impressions" mean information provided by the Regional Adult Coordinator of Mental Health Services for the Deaf to assist in differentiating psychiatric conditions from the cultural norms of deafness.
(3) "Deaf client" means an individual who is admitted to a State psychiatric hospital and:
(a) has a severe to profound hearing loss;
(b) utilizes any modality of sign language as the primary means of communication; or
(c) would benefit from a signing environment.
(4) "Dorothea Dix Hospital Deaf Unit" means the statewide 17-bed co-ed psychiatric unit for deaf adults (age 18 and above) located on the Dorothea Dix Hospital campus.
(5) "Regional adult coordinator of mental health services for the deaf" means the professional who provides mental health services for deaf adults through the Division's designated regional deaf service centers.
History Note: Authority G.S. 122C-206; 143B-147;
Eff. March 1, 1995.