SECTION .1200 ‑ REMOVAL OF GRAVES
10A NCAC 41H .1201 REGISTRATION OF GRAVES REMOVED
(a) Removal of Graves Certificate and Filing. The party removing or causing the removal of a grave shall, within 30 days of completion of the reinternment of the grave, submit to the Register of Deeds in the county of disinterment and the counties of reinternment the following:
(1) a Removal of Graves Certificate containing the elements set out in G.S. 65-106 and provided by the State Registrar. The Certificate shall be typed or completed in black ink with continuation sheets of the same format if necessary to list all decedents;
(2) maps as set forth in Paragraph (b) of this Rule; and
(3) a fee set out in G.S. 161-10.
(b) Maps. The party effecting removal shall prepare a map of both the disinterment and reinterment sites. The map must describe the disinterment and reinterment sites in such a manner that a layman can identify the location of each site. The maps shall include county, nearest city or town, public road or intersection of roads in the vicinity, and any other information which would be helpful in locating the sites. The graves must be noted and numbered. The names must be listed on the certificate by number, which corresponds with the numbers on the map.
(c) Filing and Indexing. The register of deeds shall:
(1) cross index the certificates by name of cemetery of disinterment and reinterment; This requirement does not preclude additional cross indexing of the Removal of Graves Certificates by name of decedent when known; provided, that such cross indexing shall be an option of the register of deeds and imposes no extra charge to the party effecting removal; and
(2) retain the certificates and attachments permanently. In counties using microfilm for recording various documents such as deeds and deeds of trust, these certificates may be processed as the other records.
History Note: Authority G.S. 65-106; 130A-92(7); 161-10;
Eff. February 1, 1976;
Readopted Eff. November 15, 1977;
Amended Eff. September 1, 1990;
Readopted Eff. July 1, 2020.