10A NCAC 42A .0102 DEFINITIONS
The following definitions shall apply throughout this Chapter:
(1) "Laboratory" refers to the State Laboratory of Public Health as described in G.S. 130A‑88.
(2) "The laboratory" refers to any other health related laboratories in North Carolina.
(3) "Specimen" refers to material collected from human beings, animals and insects.
(4) "Sample" refers to material collected from the environment and includes milk and other food although these may be animal products.
(5) "CDC" refers to the Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta, Georgia.
(6) "Authorized sender of specimens" refers to any individual who is authorized to manipulate a patient for the purpose of collecting blood, spinal fluid, and other body materials for analysis, or to an agency such as a hospital, local health department, or clinic which employs persons to perform such services under the direction of a licensed individual, when submitting specimens for types of analyses that have been approved by the Department for submission to the Division or which are required by law or rule to be submitted to the Division.
(7) "Authorized sender of samples" is any individual who has been designated by law, rules and regulations, or professional position to collect and submit environmental material for analysis when submitting specimens for types of analyses that have been approved by the Department for submission to the Division or which are required by law or rule to be submitted to the Division.
History Note: Authority G.S. 130A‑88;
Eff. February 1, 1976;
Readopted Eff. November 15, 1977;
Amended Eff. September 1, 1990; October 1, 1985; October 1, 1984;
Pursuant to G.S. 150B-21.3A, rule is necessary without substantive public interest Eff. December 23, 2017.