10A NCAC 42D .0256 RADIOCHEMISTRY GENERAL LABORATORY PRACTICES
A laboratory seeking certification for performing radiochemical analyses shall meet the following requirements:
(1) Glassware preparations. All glassware shall be washed in a warm detergent solution and thoroughly rinsed in tap water. A distilled water rinse shall follow the tap water rinse. Additional cleaning procedures shall only by required if they are specified in an analytical method.
(2) Water quality. All water used in preparation of reagents, standards, and samples shall have resistance values greater than 0.5 megohms (less than 2.0 micromhos)/cm at 25C.
(3) Chemicals and reagents. Analytical reagent grade (AR) chemicals shall be used for most analyses.
(4) Storage of radioactive standards and radioactive wastes. There shall be an enclosed and properly labeled area, either within the analytical laboratory or in a separate room, for the safe storage (in suitable containers) of standards, samples, and radioactive wastes.
(5) Standards and sample preparation. There shall be a designated area within the laboratory for preparation of radioactive standards and samples. Precautions shall be taken in this area to ensure against radioactive contamination. Provisions shall be made for safe storage and disposal of radioactive wastes and for monitoring of the work area.
History Note: Authority G.S. 130A‑315;
Eff. December 1, 1991.