10A NCAC 47B .0106 RELEASE OF CENTRAL CANCER REGISTRY DATA FOR RESEARCH
(a) The registry may release statistical data to any person or agency for the following purposes:
(1) medical research or education;
(2) epidemiological studies;
(3) health education;
(4) health planning or administration;
(5) required statistical reports; and
(6) other statistical reports by written request for research, information or education.
(b) A researcher may request the release of medical records from the registry by the submission of a written research proposal. This request must adhere to the requirements pertaining to release of medical records by the State Center for Health Statistics as defined by 10A NCAC 47A .0102.
(c) The medical records or reports of the individual patients may be disclosed to research staff for the purpose of medical research, provided that the registry has determined that:
(1) disclosure of this information is deemed necessary to accomplish the purposes of the research;
(2) the research warrants the risk to individual patients of the potential disclosure of their medical records; and
(3) adequate safeguards to protect the medical records or identifying information are established or maintained.
(d) The registry shall provide regular reports of research activity and data released to the cancer committee of the North Carolina Medical Society. Where there exists the potential for direct patient contact, the registry shall consult with the chairman of the Committee on Cancer of the North Carolina Medical Society before determining to release information for research as provided in Paragraphs (b) and(c) of this Rule. The registry shall forward the research proposal to the chairman for review. The chairman may forward the proposal to any or all members of the committee for comment.
History Note: Authority G.S. 130A‑205; 130A-208 through 130A-213;
Eff. January 1, 1982;
Amended Eff. October 1, 1983;
Transferred and Recodified from 10 NCAC 8A .0806 Eff. April 4, 1990;
Amended Eff. April 1, 2001.