11 NCAC 17 .0102 PURPOSE AND DUTIES OF SHIIP
(a) SHIIP is established within the Department as a statewide health benefits counseling program to provide Medicare beneficiaries with counseling in Medicare, private health insurance, and related health care coverage plans.
(b) In carrying out its duties under this Chapter, SHIIP:
(1) Acts as a clearinghouse for information and materials relating to Medicare and health insurance.
(2) Develops additional information and materials relating to Medicare and health insurance, as necessary.
(3) Provides minimum standards and materials for training and certifying counselors.
(4) Provides information for health insurance educational activities that are conducted by employers, senior organizations, and other interested groups.
(5) Supports, to the extent possible, additional emphasis on expansion of community educational activities that would provide for announcements on television and in other media that briefly describe the nature of Medicare, Medicare supplement insurance, and long‑term care insurance, and the availability of consumer information and materials under this Chapter.
(6) Provides community education on Medicare, Medicare supplement insurance, and long‑term care insurance.
(7) Recruits, trains, and coordinates counselors.
(8) Assists individuals and provides informal advocacy with respect to Medicare and health insurance benefits claims.
History Note: Authority G.S. 58‑2‑25; 58‑2‑40(1); 58‑54‑25; 58‑55‑30;
Eff. July 1, 1992.