12 NCAC 09B .0227 SPECIALIZED DRIVER INSTRUCTOR TRAINING
(a) The instructor training course required for Specialized Driver Instructor Certification shall consist of a minimum of 24 hours of classroom instruction plus the time required to conduct the tasks as required in the driver practicums based on number of students, available facilities, and number of instructors.
(b) Each Specialized Driver Instructor Training course shall be designed to provide the trainee with the skills and knowledge to perform the function of a criminal justice driver instructor in a Basic Law Enforcement Training Course or a "Law Enforcement Officers' Annual In-Service Training Program."
(c) Each applicant for Specialized Driver Instructor Training shall:
(1) have completed the criminal justice general instructor training course;
(2) present a written endorsement by either
(A) a certified school director indicating the student may be utilized to instruct driving in Basic Law Enforcement Training Courses; or
(B) a department head, certified school director, or in-service training coordinator, indicating the student may be utilized to instruct driver training in the "Law Enforcement Officer's Annual In‑Service Training Program";
(3) possess a valid operator driver's license;
(4) maintain a safe driving record where no more than four points have been assigned against the driving record within the past three years; and
(5) Within 365 days prior to enrollment in the Specialized Driver Instructor Training course, the prospective student shall complete a qualification administered by the North Carolina Justice Academy or the North Carolina State Highway Patrol Training Academy requiring the individual to achieve minimum scores on the following Basic Law Enforcement Training driving course exercises:
(A) minimum score of 85 percent on 2 out of 3 attempts on the Off-set Lane Maneuver, Serpentine, and Precision Exercise during daylight conditions;
(B) minimum score of 85 percent on 2 out of 3 attempts on the Precision Exercise during nighttime conditions;
(C) minimum score of 85 percent on one five-minute attempt during daytime conditions and one five-minute attempt during nighttime conditions on the Emergency Response exercise;
(D) minimum score of 85 percent on one five-minute attempt during daytime conditions and one five-minute attempt during nighttime conditions on the Pursuit Exercise; and
(E) score 100 percent on 2 out of 3 attempts on all phases of the Fixed Radius Curve and Evasive Action Exercises.
(d) Each Specialized Driver Instructor Training course shall include the following identified topic areas and instructional hours for each area:
(1) Orientation 1 Hour
(2) Lesson Plan Review (BLET) 6 Hours
(3) General Mechanical Knowledge 2 Hours
(4) Before ‑ Operation Inspection 1 Hour
(5) Laws of Natural Force & Operating Characteristics 3 Hours
(6) Legal and Operational Considerations for the Driver Instructor 4 Hours
(7) Course Description Packet and Administrative Code Review 2 Hour
(8) Course Review 1 Hour
(9) Building Driving Courses 4 Hours
(10) Completion of tasks associated with the Driver Practicums. The number of hours required to complete this portion of the curriculum shall be based on the number of enrolled students, available facilities, and number of instructors.
(e) The "Specialized Driver Instructor Training Manual" as published by the North Carolina Justice Academy shall be the curriculum for Specialized Driver Instructor Training courses. Copies of this publication may be inspected at the:
Criminal Justice Standards Division
North Carolina Department of Justice
1700 Tryon Park Drive
Post Office Drawer 149
Raleigh, North Carolina 27610
and may be obtained at the cost of printing and postage from the Academy at the following address:
North Carolina Justice Academy
Post Office Box 99
Salemburg, North Carolina 28385
(f) Commission-certified schools that are certified to offer the "Specialized Driver Instructor Training" course are The North Carolina Justice Academy and The North Carolina State Highway Patrol Training Center.
History Note: Authority G.S. 17C‑6;
Eff. May 1, 1986;
Amended Eff. August 1, 2015; January 1, 2015; February 1, 2013; August 1, 2006; February 1, 2006; August 1, 2000; November 1, 1998; August 1, 1995; February 1, 1991; March 1, 1990; July 1, 1989;
Pursuant to G.S. 150B-21.3A, rule is necessary without substantive public interest Eff. May 25, 2019;
Amended Eff. January 1, 2021.