12 NCAC 09B .0227 SPECIALIZED DRIVER INSTRUCTOR TRAINING
(a) The instructor training course required for specialized driver instructor certification shall consist of a minimum of 48 hours of instruction.
(b) Each specialized driver instructor training course shall be designed to provide the trainee with the skills and knowledge to perform the function of a criminal justice driver instructor in a Basic Law Enforcement Training Course or a "Law Enforcement Officers' Annual In-Service Training Program."
(c) Each applicant for specialized driver instructor training shall:
(1) have completed the criminal justice general instructor training course;
(2) present a written endorsement by either
(A) a certified school director indicating the student may be utilized to instruct driving in Basic Law Enforcement Training Courses; or
(B) a department head, certified school director, or in-service training coordinator, indicating the student may be utilized to instruct driver training in the "Law Enforcement Officer's Annual In‑Service Training Program";
(3) possess a valid operator driver's license; and
(4) maintain a safe driving record where no more than four points have been assigned against the driving record within the past three years.
(d) Each specialized driver instructor training course shall include the following identified topic areas and instructional hours for each area:
(1) Orientation 1 Hour
(2) Lesson Plan Review (BLET) 4 Hours
(3) General Mechanical Knowledge 2 Hours
(4) Before ‑ Operation Inspection 1 Hour
(5) Laws of Natural Force & Operating Characteristics 2 Hours
(6) Driver Practicum/Pre-Qualification 32 Hours
(7) Legal and Operational Considerations for the Driver Instructor 4 Hours
(8) Course Description Packet and Administrative Code Review 1 Hour
(9) Course Review 1 Hour
(e) The "Specialized Driver Instructor Training Manual" as published by the North Carolina Justice Academy shall be the curriculum for specialized driver instructor training courses. Copies of this publication may be inspected at the:
Criminal Justice Standards Division
North Carolina Department of Justice
1700 Tryon Park Drive
Post Office Drawer 149
Raleigh, North Carolina 27610
and may be obtained at the cost of printing and postage from the Academy at the following address:
North Carolina Justice Academy
Post Office Box 99
Salemburg, North Carolina 28385
(f) Commission-certified schools that are certified to offer the "Specialized Driver Instructor Training" course are The North Carolina Justice Academy and The North Carolina State Highway Patrol Training Center.
History Note: Authority G.S. 17C‑6;
Eff. May 1, 1986;
Amended Eff. August 1, 2015; January 1, 2015; February 1, 2013; August 1, 2006; February 1, 2006; August 1, 2000; November 1, 1998; August 1, 1995; February 1, 1991; March 1, 1990; July 1, 1989.