12 NCAC 09B .0232 SPECIALIZED SUBJECT CONTROL ARREST TECHNIQUES INSTRUCTOR TRAINING
(a) The instructor training course required for specialized subject control arrest techniques instructor certification shall consist of a minimum of 78 hours of instruction presented during a continuous period of not more than two weeks.
(b) Each specialized subject control arrest techniques instructor training course shall be designed to provide the trainee with the skills and knowledge to perform the function of a criminal justice subject control arrest techniques instructor in a Basic Law Enforcement Training Course or a "Law Enforcement Officers' Annual In-Service Training Program."
(c) Each applicant for specialized subject control arrest techniques instructor training shall:
(1) have completed the criminal justice general instructor training course;
(2) present a letter from a licensed physician stating the applicant's physical fitness to participate in the course; and
(3) present a written endorsement by either
(A) a certified school director indicating the student may be utilized to instruct subject control arrest techniques in Basic Law Enforcement Training Courses; or
(B) a department head, certified school director, or in-service training coordinator indicating the student may be utilized to instruct Subject Control Arrest Techniques for the "Law Enforcement Officers' In-Service Training Program."
(d) Each specialized subject control arrest techniques instructor training course shall include the following identified topic areas and minimum instructional hours for each area:
(1) Orientation 1 Hour
(2) Skills Pre-Test 1 Hour
(3) Student Instructional Practicum 3 Hours
(4) Practical Skills Evaluation 3 Hours
(5) Response to Injury 4 Hours
(6) Combat Conditioning 12 Hours
(7) Safety Guidelines/Rules 2 Hours
(8) Practical Skills Enhancement 4 Hours
(9) Subject Control/Arrest Techniques Practical Skills and Instructional Methods 44 Hours
(10) Fundamentals of Professional Liability For Law Enforcement Trainers 4 Hours
TOTAL 78 Hours
(e) The "Specialized Subject Control Arrest Techniques Instructor Training Manual" as published by the North Carolina Justice Academy shall be the curriculum for specialized subject control arrest techniques instructor training courses. Copies of this publication may be inspected at the:
Criminal Justice Standards Division
North Carolina Department of Justice
1700 Tryon Park Drive
Post Office Drawer 149
Raleigh, North Carolina 27610
and may be obtained at the cost of printing and postage from the Academy at the following address:
North Carolina Justice Academy
Post Office Box 99
Salemburg, North Carolina 28385
(f) The Commission-certified school that is certified to offer the "Specialized Subject Control Arrest Techniques Instructor Training" course is the North Carolina Justice Academy.
History Note: Authority G.S. 17C‑6;
Eff. February 1, 1987;
Amended Eff. January 1, 2015; February 1, 2013; December 1, 2009; August 1, 2006; August 1, 2000; November 1, 1998; August 1, 1995; March 1, 1990; July 1, 1989.