SECTION .0400 ‑ ACCREDITATION OF CRIMINAL JUSTICE SCHOOLS AND TRAINING COURSES
12 NCAC 09C .0401 Accreditation OF CRIMINAL JUSTICE SCHOOLS
(a) Any school requesting accreditation, pursuant to the Commission's authority to certify criminal justice training schools in G.S. 17C-6, as meeting the requirements contained in 12 NCAC 09B .0200 must submit a completed Form F-10(SA) Request for School Accreditation. The Form F-10(SA) is available on the agency's website: http://www.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/9134b822-24a7-4d70-8a3b-b2bd807100c4/F-10(SA)-6-11.aspx. Upon receipt of a completed Request for School Accreditation application:
(1) The Standards Division staff reviews the application and conducts a site visit to tour facilities, confirm information on the application, and determine if and where deficiencies exist;
(2) The Standards Division Staff contacts the applying institution or agency concerning deficiencies and provides assistance on correcting problem areas;
(3) The Standards Division staff recommends to the Education and Training Committee when the accredited institution has satisfied the requirements outlined in 12 NCAC 09B .0200; and
(4) The Education and Training Committee recommends to the full Commission at its next regularly scheduled meeting the approval or denial of accreditation for the applicant institution or agency.
(b) Accreditation of a school shall remain effective for five years from issuance unless earlier suspended or revoked for failure to maintain compliance with the requirements set forth in 12 NCAC 09B .0200, Minimum Standards for Criminal Justice Schools and Criminal Justice Training Programs or Courses of Instruction.
(c) The identity of those schools accredited under this Rule are published and distributed by the Standards Division, via the agency's website: http://www.ncdoj.gov/CMSPages/GetFile.aspx?nodeguid=6cb7e157-87f7-40a3-b281-d95a36807bb9 and the schedule of criminal justice training courses planned for delivery during the succeeding year.
(d) A school may request reaccreditation from the Commission by submitting a completed Form F-10(SA) Request for School Accreditation form, located on the agency's website: http://ncdoj.gov/getdoc/9134b822-24a7-4d70-8a3b-b2bd807100c4/F-10(SA)-6-11.aspx. The Form F-10(SA) shall contain information on changes in facilities, equipment, and staffing. Upon receipt of a completed application:
(1) The Standards Division staff reviews the request for reaccreditation, conducts a site visit to tour facilities, confirms information on the application, determines if and where deficiencies exist, and attaches copies of the reports of site visits to the application;
(2) The Standards Division staff submits the application and staff reports to the Education and Training Committee for review; and
(3) The Education and Training Committee recommends to the full Commission at its next regularly scheduled meeting the approval or denial of accreditation of the applicant institution or agency.
(e) In instances where certified schools have been found to be in compliance with 12 NCAC 09B .0200 through favorable site visit reports, Standards Division staff shall reaccredit on behalf of the Commission. Such action shall be reported to the Education and Training Committee at its next scheduled meeting.
(f) In instances where the Education and Training Committee determines the school seeking accreditation or reaccreditation is not in compliance with 12 NCAC 09B .0200, the school application and staff reports shall be reviewed by the Probable Cause Committee, as specified in 12 NCAC 09A .0201.
(g) The Commission may suspend or revoke a school's accreditation when it finds that the school has failed to meet or continuously maintain any requirement, standard, or procedure for school or course accreditation.
(h) The Accreditation of a school whose accreditation is scheduled to expire in calendar year 2015 and who has submitted a request for recertification shall be extended for a maximum of two years under the following conditions:
(1) accreditation has not expired;
(2) the school has submitted a request for reaccreditation along with the required documentation by December 31, 2015.
(3) the Standards Division staff was unable to complete the recertification process by December 31, 2014; and
(4) the school is not denied reaccreditation prior to the expiration of the current accreditation. Accreditation or accreditation extension according to this Paragraph expires when reaccreditation is denied or revoked or the Standards Division staff is able to complete the reaccreditation process and it is determined that the school is in compliance with the Rules for Reaccreditation. If the school reaccreditation is denied or revoked, the school shall not deliver Commission accredited criminal justice courses until such reaccreditation has been granted or reinstated by the Commission.
History Note: Authority G.S. 17C‑6; 17C-11;
Eff. January 1, 1981;
Amended Eff. August 1, 2004, January 1, 1996;
Temporary Amendment Eff. January 1, 2007;
Temporary Amendment Expired October 13, 2007;
Amended Eff. February 1, 2016; April 1, 2008;
Pursuant to G.S. 150B-21.3A, rule is necessary without substantive public interest Eff. May 25, 2019.