12 NCAC 09F .0102 TOPICAL AREAS
The course entitled "Concealed Carry Handgun Training" shall consist of eight hours of instruction and shall include the following identified topical areas:
(1) Legal Issues (two hours): The student shall be able to explain the following:
(a) the types of situations when the use of deadly physical force would be justified;
(b) list the areas where the carrying of a concealed handgun is prohibited;
(c) the requirements for handgun storage under G.S. 14-315.1; and
(d) the laws governing the carrying of a concealed handgun.
The instructor shall determine the student's level of understanding of the relevant legal issues by administering a written examination.
(2) Handgun Nomenclature: The instructor shall identify to the students the primary parts of the revolver and semiautomatic handgun.
(3) Handgun Safety: The students shall be able to:
(a) list at least four rules of safe gun handling and demonstrate all of these procedures during range exercises;
(b) list four methods of safely storing a handgun and choose the method most appropriate for their personal use;
(c) describe safety issues relating to the safe carry of a handgun; and
(d) determine the proper storage of their handguns when there are minors in the home.
(4) Handgun Fundamentals: The instructor shall demonstrate to the students:
(a) how to load both a revolver and a semiautomatic handgun;
(b) how to unload both a revolver and a semiautomatic handgun; and
(c) the operational characteristics of the revolver and the semiautomatic handgun.
(5) Marksmanship Fundamentals: The student shall be able to:
(a) demonstrate a proper handgun grip;
(b) demonstrate either the Weaver or Isosceles Stance;
(c) describe the elements of sight alignment and sight picture; and
(d) demonstrate trigger control in a dry fire exercise.
(6) Presentation Techniques: The instructor shall demonstrate to the students the draw or presentation of the revolver and semiautomatic handgun with a variety of holster types.
(7) Cleaning and Maintenance: The instructor shall demonstrate to the student:
(a) how to "field strip" the handguns if the handgun can be field stripped;
(b) how to perform a "Function Check"; and
(c) based on the manufacturer's recommendations, list the lubrication points of the specific handguns being demonstrated.
(8) Ammunition: The instructor shall list and explain the four components of ammunition.
History Note: Authority G.S. 14-415.12;
Temporary Adoption Eff. November 1, 1995;
Eff. May 1, 1996;
Amended Eff. November 1, 2014; February 1, 2013; May 1, 2004;
Pursuant to G.S. 150B-21.3A, rule is necessary without substantive public interest Eff. May 25, 2019;
Amended Eff. October 1, 2019.