(a)  Each applicant for certification as a correctional officer or probation/parole officer shall furnish documentary evidence of high school, college or university graduation to the employing agency. Documentary evidence of high school graduation consists of diplomas or transcripts from public schools or private schools which meet standards adopted by either the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction, the Division of Non-Public Instruction, or a comparable out of state agency; or such documentation as described in Paragraphs (b), (c), (d), (e) of this Rule. Documentary evidence of college or university graduation consists of diplomas or transcripts from colleges or universities accredited as such by the Department of Education of the state in which the institution is located, an accredited body recognized by either the U.S. Department of Education or Council for Higher Education Accreditation, or the state university of the state in which the institution is located.

(b)  High school diplomas earned through home school programs must be accompanied by a true and accurate or certified transcript and the program must meet the requirements of Part 3 of Article 39 of Chapter 115C of the North Carolina General Statutes, or a comparable out-of-state statute.

(c)  Diplomas earned from high school or equivalent institutions outside of the United States must be translated into English and be accompanied by an authentic transcript. The Criminal Justice Standards Division (Division) staff shall evaluate the transcripts to ensure they are scholastically comparable to United States curriculum requirements.

(d)  The Division's staff shall evaluate high school diplomas earned through on-line or correspondence courses to ensure such diplomas must meet state and local requirements for the jurisdiction from which the diploma was issued.

(e)  Documentary evidence of having earned a High School Equivalency (HSE) diploma shall be satisfied by a certified copy of a high school equivalency credential or an adult high school diploma, both of which must be recognized by the U.S. Department of Education, or educational agency that is authorized in the state to issue High School Equivalency (HSE) diplomas.

(f)  Documentary evidence of the attainment of satisfactory scores on any military high school equivalency examination is acceptable as evidence of high school graduation if verified by a true copy of the veteran's DD-214 Certificate of Release from Active Duty.


History Note:        Authority G.S. 17C-6; 17C-10;

Temporary Adoption Eff. January 1, 2001;

Eff. August 1, 2002;

Amended Eff. April 1, 2018; February 1, 2016; November 1, 2015; January 1, 2015; August 1, 2004;

Pursuant to G.S. 150B-21.3A, rule is necessary without substantive public interest Eff. May 25, 2019;

Amended Eff. May 1, 2023.