12 NCAC 09G .0415 CORRECTIONs SPECIALIZED INSTRUCTOR TRAINING – FIREARMS
(a) The instructor training course requirement for Corrections Specialized Instructor Training – Firearms certification shall consist of at least 80 hours of instruction presented during a period of not more than two consecutive weeks. If the Governor declares a State of Emergency pursuant to G.S. 166A-19.3(19), the Director of the Criminal Justice Standards Division shall allow additional breaks in a specific course delivery when the Director determines that doing so is necessary based on consideration of the following factors:
(1) Whether instruction has begun in the course or whether course initiation may be postponed;
(2) The risk of harm to students that may be caused by continuation of the course;
(3) Whether those enrolled in the course have been or will likely be called to action to help address the State of Emergency;
(4) The specific need for the waiver; and
(5) The degree of benefit to the public in allowing a break in instruction.
Notice of waivers granted pursuant to the Section shall be posted on the CJETS website https://ncdoj.gov/law-enforcement-training/criminal-justice/. The waivers granted pursuant to this Section shall only apply to courses that began during the effective period of the State of Emergency.
(b) Each Corrections Specialized Instructor Training – Firearms course shall be designed to provide the trainee with the skills and knowledge to perform the function of a corrections firearms instructor in the "Basic Training – Correctional Officer" course, "Basic Training ‑ Probation/Parole Officer" course, and in-service training courses for correctional officers and probation/parole officers.
(c) Each Corrections Specialized Firearms Instructor Training course shall include the following topical areas:
(1) Course Overview;
(2) Legal Considerations for Firearm Instructors;
(3) Department of Public Safety, Division of Adult Correction Firearms Training Courses;
(4) Firearms Safety;
(5) Range Operations;
(6) Medical Emergencies on the Range;
(7) Handgun – Operation, Use and Maintenance:
(A) Handgun Training – Classroom and Range;
(B) Handgun Low/Limited Light Fire; and
(C) Handgun Care and Maintenance;
(8) Advanced Handgun Training – Classroom and Range;
(9) Shotgun Operation, Use and Maintenance:
(A) Shotgun Training – Classroom and Range;
(B) Shotgun Low/Limited Light Fire – Range; and
(C) Shotgun Care and Maintenance;
(10) Special Techniques, Training Aids, and Methods:
(11) Situational Use of Firearms:
(A) The Shooting Decision;
(B) Situational Use of Firearms;
(C) Situational Exercises – Day; and
(D) Situational Exercises – Low/Limited Light; and
(12) Administrative Matters, Testing, and Evaluation.
(d) The Commission certified school that is certified to offer the "Corrections Specialized Instructor Training ‑ Firearms" course is the Office of Staff Development and Training of the North Carolina Department of Public Safety.
History Note: Authority G.S. 17C-6;
Temporary Adoption Eff. January 1, 2001;
Eff. August 1, 2002;
Amended Eff. May 1, 2014; April 1, 2008; February 1, 2006; August 1, 2004;
Pursuant to G.S. 150B-21.3A, rule is necessary without substantive public interest Eff. May 25, 2019;
Amended Eff. April 1, 2022.