12 NCAC 10B .0605 COMPLETION OF DETENTION OFFICER CERTIFICATION COURSE
(a) Each trainee shall attend and satisfactorily complete a full course during a single scheduled delivery as set forth in Rule .0601 of this Section unless a waiver has been granted as set forth in Rule .0603 or .1901 of this Subchapter. Satisfactory completion is achieved by completion of the required topics, passing the end of block tests and passing the state examination as set out in Rule .0606 of this Section. The school director may develop supplemental rules as set forth in Rule .0704(a)(6) of this Subchapter, but may not add substantive courses, or change or expand the substance of the courses set forth in Rule .0601 of this Section. This Rule does not prevent the instruction on local agency rules or standards; however, such instruction shall not be considered or endorsed by the Commission for purposes of certification. The Director may issue prior written authorization for a specified trainee's limited enrollment in a subsequent delivery of the same course where the school director provides evidence that:
(1) The trainee attended and satisfactorily completed specified class hours and topics of the "Detention Officer Certification Course" but through extended absence occasioned by illness, accident, or emergency was absent for more than 10 percent of the total class hours of the course offering;
(2) The trainee was granted excused absences by the school director that did not exceed ten percent of the total class hours for the course offering and the school director could not schedule appropriate make-up work during the current course offering as specified in Rule .0604(c) of this Section; or
(3) The trainee participated in an offering of the "Detention Officer Certification Course" but had an identified deficiency in essential knowledge or skill in no more than three of the specified topic areas incorporated in the course content as set forth in Rule .0601(b) of this Section.
(b) An authorization of limited enrollment in a subsequent course delivery may not be granted by the Director unless in addition to the evidence required by Paragraph (a) of this Rule:
(1) The trainee submits a written request to the Director, justifying the limited enrollment and certifying that the trainee's participation shall be accomplished pursuant to Paragraph (c) of this Rule; and
(2) The school director of the previous school offering submits to the director a certification of the particular topics and class hours attended and satisfactorily completed by the trainee during the original enrollment.
(c) An authorization of limited enrollment in a subsequent course delivery permits the trainee to attend an offering of the "Detention Officer Certification Course" commencing within 180 calendar days from the last date of trainee participation in prior course delivery, but only if the trainee's enrollment with active course participation can be accomplished within the period of the trainee's probationary certification:
(1) The trainee need attend and satisfactorily complete only those portions of the course which were missed or identified by the school director as areas of trainee deficiency in the initial course participation.
(2) Following authorized enrollment in the subsequent course offering, scheduled class attendance and active participation with satisfactory achievement in the course, the trainee shall be eligible for administration of the State Comprehensive Examination by the Commission.
(3) A trainee shall be enrolled as a limited enrollee in only one subsequent course offering within the 180 calendar days from the last date of trainee participation in prior course delivery. A trainee who fails to complete those limited portions of the course after one retest shall enroll in an entire delivery of the Detention Officer Certification Course.
(d) A trainee who is deficient in four or more subject-matter or topical areas at the conclusion of the course delivery shall complete a subsequent program in its entirety.
History Note: Authority G.S. 17E-4; 17E-7;
Eff. January 1, 1989;
Amended Eff. February 1, 2014; August 1, 1998; January 1, 1996; January 1, 1993; January 1, 1992; January 1, 1991.