13 NCAC 13 .0422 EXHIBITION BOILERS
In addition to the requirements outlined in this Chapter for manually fired boilers, exhibition boilers shall meet the following requirements:
(1) Exhibition boilers that are not built to the ASME Code shall not be operated above 125 psig without specific written approval by the Chief Inspector who shall base such approval on documentation and calculations submitted by the owner. These documents and an inspection shall support higher pressure ratings.
(2) Safety relief valves shall not exceed the maximum allowed working pressure and shall be ASME/NB certified valves.
(3) Each boiler shall have as a minimum;
(a) A properly operating pressure gauge which shall be approximately double the pressure to which the safety relief valve is set but in no case shall it be less than 1 1/2 times the set pressure.
(b) A safety relief valve which shall be capable of protecting the boiler from over pressurization.
(c) A water gauge glass
(4) When fusible plugs are used, they shall be replaced every two years with appropriately sized plugs of the required material.
(5) A hydrostatic test may be required by the inspector if, in his opinion, it is necessary to prove the integrity of the pressure boundary. The hydrostatic test shall not exceed 100% of the maximum allowed working pressure of the vessel or the set pressure of the safety valve, whichever is greater.
(6) Upon successful completion of the inspection and payment of fees the Chief Inspector shall issue a Certificate of Inspection valid for one year.
History Note: Authority G.S. 95‑69.11; 95‑69.14;
Eff. July 1, 2006.