14B ncac 01c .0401       AGREEMENT TO PAY COSTS

The secretary, in consultation with the state law enforcement agency providing assistance, and the governing body of the city or county requesting assistance may enter into an agreement to reimburse the state agency for the costs of providing assistance or a portion thereof.  The agreement may be entered into before or after assistance is provided. The costs that may be included in the agreement are:

(1)           The actual cost of compensation, including overtime pay, that the state department pays to each officer during his period of assignment;

(2)           Disability pay or workman's compensation pay to any officer disabled or injured while providing such assistance to the local governing body. The local governing body shall be responsible for such payments as long as the officer is entitled to them under state law;

(3)           The costs of all fringe benefits, including retirement and health insurance, which the state department actually pays to a state officer during his period of assignment;

(4)           Costs of any state department property which has been lost, damaged, destroyed, stolen, used or consumed during the period of assignment.  The local governing body will not, however, be liable for ordinary wear and tear of for loss or damage caused by the negligence of the state officer. The local governing body must pay the amount of the costs of the property upon demand. If subsequently the state department is reimbursed from other sources, the state department will rebate to the local governing body the amount obtained from the other sources;

(5)           Any other costs directly associated with providing this assistance, such as transportation and travel subsistence expenses.


History Note:        Authority G.S. 160A-288.1; 153A-212;

Eff. December 1, 1979;

Transferred from 14A NCAC 01C .0401 Eff. June 1, 2013.