14B NCAC 10 .0604 Fouls - kickboxing
(a) A kickboxing foul, whether intentional or unintentional, shall result in a warning or deduction of a point or points, as determined by the referee based on the following:
(1) The referee shall determine the severity of the penalty using as his criteria the intent of the contestant committing the foul and the result and effect of the foul upon the opponent.
(2) When the referee determines that he shall deduct a point or points from a participant, he shall immediately notify the Division representative or scorekeeper (if one is used), who shall ensure that the specified number of points are deducted from each of the judge's score cards at the end of the round.
(3) The referee shall not tolerate continual and repeated commission of fouls by a participant. The referee shall give warning to a contestant who continually and repeatedly commits fouls and when, in the opinion of the referee, the contestant has displayed persistent disregard for the rule governing the commission of fouls, the referee shall disqualify the participant, terminate the match and provide such findings to the Division for appropriate action.
(4) Points for fouls shall only be deducted in the round in which the fouls occurred. A contestant shall not be penalized in a subsequent round for fouls that occurred in a previous round.
(5) The following actions are fouls, the committing of which shall result in a deduction of points:
(A) Striking an opponent who is down or is getting up after being down;
(B) Holding an opponent with one hand and punching with the other;
(C) Holding or deliberately maintaining a clinch;
(D) Butting with the head;
(E) Striking with the knee, elbow or palm-heel;
(F) Clubbing blows with the hand;
(G) Striking to the face with any part of the arm other than the gloved hand;
(H) Deliberately striking or kicking the groin area, women's breasts, women's ovaries, back of the head, neck or throat, or that part of the back near the spine and over the kidneys;
(I) The deliberate use of any scraping or rabbit blow;
(J) Flicking or jabbing the opponent's eyes with the thumb of the glove;
(K) Hitting with the open glove or with the wrist;
(L) The use of abusive language in the ring or corner, or spitting or biting;
(M) Kicking with the knee, or kicking into the knee or to the inside region of the thigh, and sweeps to the inside region of the leg or shin-to-shin sweeps;
(N) Linear or straight-in striking or kicking to the spine;
(O) Intentionally pushing, shoving or wrestling an opponent to the ring floor or out of the ring, or throwing or taking an opponent to the floor with foot sweeps that make contact with any area above the opponent's ankle knuckle;
(P) Attacking or striking on the break;
(Q) Striking after the bell has sounded ending the round;
(R) Intentionally delaying the contest through any action or failure to act;
(S) Leg checking which is the act of extending the leg to check an opponent's leg to prevent him from kicking;
(T) Grabbing or holding an opponent's leg or foot followed by a takedown, strike or kick;
(U) Pushing an opponent around the ring or into the ropes;
(V) Anti-joint techniques which is the act of striking or applying leverage against any joint;
(W) Holding the ropes with one hand while kicking, punching or defending with the other hand or the legs;
(X) Any unsportsmanlike action which causes or is intended to cause injury to an opponent; or
(Y) Intentional spitting out of the mouthpiece or allowing the mouthpiece to fall out of the mouth.
(b) Finality of decisions shall be governed by the following:
(1) A decision rendered at the conclusion or termination of any match is final and shall not be changed unless it is determined that any of the following occurred:
(A) There was collusion affecting the result of any match;
(B) The compilation of the round or match score cards shows an error which indicates that the decision was awarded to the wrong participant;
(C) There was a violation of the rules in this Chapter relating to drugs or foreign substances; or
(D) There was a violation of the rules set forth in this Chapter which violation affected the result of the match.
(2) If it is determined that any of the above occurred, the decision rendered shall be changed in an equitable manner as directed by the Division.
(c) Kickboxers shall conform to the standards set forth for boxers in Rule .0504 of this Section.
History Note: Authority G.S. 143-652.1;
Temporary Adoption Eff. January 1, 1996;
Recodified from 18 NCAC 09 .0108(m)(5)-(p) Eff. April 1, 1996;
Eff. April 1, 1996;
Transferred and recodified from 18 NCAC 09 Eff. November 8, 2002;
Amended Eff. October 1, 2004;
Amended Eff. March 1, 2008 (recodified from 14A NCAC 12 .0116);
Transferred from 14A NCAC 12 .0604 Eff. June 1, 2013.