SECTION .0700 - TOUGHMAN
14B NCAC 10 .0701 TOUGHMAN MATCH
Contestants and officials in toughman events shall comply with Rules .0201, .0301, and .0402 of this Chapter, except for the following exceptions or additional rules:
(1) Each contest shall be limited to three one-minute rounds.
(2) Each contest shall be scored by the 10 point must system as outlined in Rule .0503 of this Chapter.
(3) There shall be four weight classifications: lightweight (up to but not over 140 pounds); middleweight (over 140 pounds to but not over 160 pounds); light heavyweight (over 160 pounds to but not over 185 pounds); and heavyweight (over 185 pounds).
(4) Boxing gloves weighing a minimum of 16 ounces shall be worn by all contestants.
(5) Headgear and abdominal and groin protectors, provided by the promoter, shall be worn by all contestants.
(6) The seconds shall use clean towels and mouth pieces for each match.
(7) All equipment shall be inspected by the referee or the Division representative to insure that it provides for the safety of the contestants, and does not give either contestant an unfair advantage.
(8) A contestant shall not participate in more than four matches in the same calendar day. The ringside physician shall check and record a contestant's blood pressure prior to each program of matches.
(9) A contestant shall not be allowed to compete in a toughman match if he has:
(A) Been a competitor in professional boxing, kickboxing or mixed martial arts: or
(B) Been a winner of more than five amateur boxing, kickboxing or mixed martial arts or toughman matches or more than five of any combination of amateur boxing, kickboxing or mixed martial arts or toughman matches.
(10) Competing for or winning a prize in a toughman contest shall not, in itself, make the contestant a professional within the scope of the rules in this Chapter.
History Note: Authority G.S. 143-652.1;
Temporary Adoption Eff. January 1, 1996;
Recodified from 18 NCAC 09 .0109 Eff. April 1, 1996;
Eff. May 1, 1996;
Transferred and recodified from 18 NCAC 09 Eff. November 8, 2002;
Amended Eff. October 1, 2004;
Amended Eff. March 1, 2008 (recodified from 14A NCAC 12 .0117);
Transferred from 14A NCAC 12 .0701 Eff. June 1, 2013;
Pursuant to G.S. 150B-21.3A, rule is necessary without substantive public interest Eff. January 9, 2018.