14B NCAC 10 .0810 Amateur-Mixed Martial Arts
(a) In addition to compliance with Rules .0201, .0301, .0402 and .0801 through .0809 of this Chapter, the following requirements apply to amateur mixed martial arts matches:
(1) Any contestant competing as an amateur may not currently or have ever been a professional fighter in any unarmed combat sport. This includes mixed martial arts, boxing, karate, or any other form of a striking sport;
(2) Amateur weigh-ins must be scheduled no earlier than 10 AM the day of the match;
(3) Grappling shin guards are optional;
(4) Elbow strikes to the head are not allowed;
(5) Striking with the point of the elbow is not allowed;
(6) Knees to the head at anytime are not allowed;
(7) Kicks of any type to the head are not allowed; and
(8) A contestant may only strike to the head with his or her fist.
(b) The promoter of record shall provide to the Division the name, address, date of birth and social security number of every amateur contestants scheduled to compete in a program of matches. This information shall be submitted no later than seven calendar days prior to the event.
(c) A contestant shall have a minimum of five recorded amateur matches prior to being submitted to compete as a professional mixed martial arts contestant. This five match requirement shall be waived by the Division representative if the contestant has previously completely in at least five professional boxing or kickboxing matches or any combination there of.
(d) Contestants under 18 years of age may compete only in matches supervised and regulated by an Amateur Sports Organization that has been recognized by the Division. To obtain recognition, any Amateur Sports Organization shall establish and provide rules for the implementation of health and safety standards and all requirements related to the conduct of matches that are at least as restrictive as the applicable standards and requirements of the Division. Events open to the public where admission is charged for viewing shall be conducted by a promoter licensed in accordance with the provisions of Rule .0402 of this Chapter.
History Note: Authority G.S. 143-652.1;
Eff. March 1, 2008;
Transferred from 14A NCAC 12 .0810 Eff. June 1, 2013.