14B NCAC 10 .0811 Suspensions - MIXED MARTIAL ARTS
(a) The following apply to determine the length of suspension for mixed martial arts contestants. The Division representative or ringside physician may increase or decrease the length of suspension if deemed appropriate:
(1) TKO (Technical Knockout) - 30 Days.
(A) Referee stoppage from submission or choke hold prior to verbal commitment or tap out.
(B) Referee stoppage from strikes prior to verbal commitment or tap out.
(2) KO (Knockout) - 60 Days.
(3) Second TKO/KO in 12 months and contestant has a losing record - 120 to 180 Days.
(4) TKO/KO and contestant has lost three or more of the last five fights in the first round - 180 to 365 Days.
(b) A contestant is designated as "High Risk" if one of the following criteria apply:
(1) 40 years of age or older;
(2) Has six consecutive losses or three consecutive losses in the first round by TKO/KO;
(3) Lost more than 25 total fights;
(4) Has a career duration of more than 350 rounds;
(5) Has suffered a severe concussion (Grade 3) or difficulty in a match where the ringside physician recommends more medical test; or
(6) Has been inactive for 30 or more months.
(c) Contestants designated as "High Risk" must provide the results of any or all of the following medical test to the Division representative prior to being approved to compete in a match based on the contestant's past medical history and suspensions:
(1) MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging);
(2) Complete Neurological Examination by a Neurologist;
(3) Overall physical conducted by a physician indicating that the contestant is physically fit to compete in a match;
(4) If the contestant is 40 years of age or older, cardiac examination and chest x-rays.
(d) A contestant may not compete until seven days have elapsed from his or her last match. The seven day period starts the day following the event in which he or she competed. The Division representative may waive this mandatory rest period if the contest ended in two rounds or less and contestant received no injuries.
History Note: Authority G.S. 143-652.1;
Eff. March 1, 2008;
Transferred from 14A NCAC 12 .0811 Eff. June 1, 2013.