SECTION .0200 - LICENSES: TRAINEE PERMITS
14B NCAC 16 .0201 APPLICATION FOR LICENSE AND TRAINEE PERMITS
(a) Each applicant for a license or trainee permit shall submit an online application on the website provided by the Board. The online application shall be accompanied by:
(1) electronic submission of fingerprints from a Live Scan or similar system approved by the State Bureau of Investigations or one set of classifiable fingerprints on an applicant fingerprint card that shall be mailed separately to the Board's office;
(2) one head and shoulders digital photograph of the applicant in JPG, JPEG, or PNG format of sufficient quality for identification, taken within six months prior to online application and submitted by uploading the photograph online with the application submission;
(3) upload online a statement of the results of a statewide criminal history records search by the reporting service designated by the Board pursuant to G.S. 74C-8.1(a) for each state where the applicant has resided within the preceding 60 months;
(4) the applicant's non-refundable application fee, along with a four dollar ($4.00) convenience fee and credit card transaction fee;
(5) the actual cost charged to the Private Protective Services Board by the State Bureau of
Investigation to cover the cost of criminal record checks performed by the State Bureau of Investigation, collected online by the Private Protective Services Board;
(6) an Equifax credit check run within 30 days of the license application submission date, which will be submitted to the Board's investigator during the application process; and
(7) five letters attesting to the good character and reputation of the applicant using the online character letter submission process.
(b) Applications for trainee permits shall be accompanied by a notarized statement on a form provided by the Board and signed by the applicant and his or her prospective supervisor, stating that the trainee applicant shall at all times work with and under the direct supervision of that supervisor and the form shall be uploaded as part of the online application process.
(c) Private investigator trainees applying for a license shall make available for inspection a log of experience on a form provided by the Board.
(d) Each applicant must upload evidence of high school graduation either by diploma, G.E.D. certificate, or other proof.
(e) Each applicant for a license shall meet personally with a Board investigator, the Screening Committee, the Director, or another Board representative designated by the Director prior to being issued a license. The applicant shall discuss the provisions of G.S. 74C and the administrative rules in this Chapter during the personal meeting. The applicant shall sign a form provided by the Board indicating that he or she has reviewed G.S. 74C and the administrative rules in this Chapter with the Board's representative. During a national or State declared state of emergency that restricts or prohibits travel, the personal meeting requirement may be waived if requested by the applicant in favor of alternative means of communication.
History Note: Authority G.S. 74C-2; 74C-5; 74C-8; 74C-8.1; 74C-12;
Eff. June 1, 1984;
Amended Eff. May 1, 2012; July 1, 2011; August 1, 1998; December 1, 1995; July 1, 1987; December 1, 1985;
Transferred and Recodified from 12 NCAC 07D .0201 Eff. July 1, 2015;
Amended Eff. November 1, 2017;
Readopted Eff. March 1, 2020;
Emergency Amendment Eff. May 6, 2020;
Temporary Amendment Eff. July 24, 2020;
Temporary Amendment Expired Eff. May 14, 2021;
Amended Eff. July 1, 2022; January 1, 2022; July 1, 2021.