14B NCAC 16 .0502 POLYGRAPH TRAINEE PERMIT REQUIREMENTS
In addition to the requirements of Section .0200 of this Chapter, the following requirements shall apply to polygraph trainees:
(1) The applicant shall successfully complete a formal course of instruction at any polygraph school approved by the American Polygraph Association, the American Association of Police Polygraphists, or the Board. A list of approved schools can be found at: https://www.ncdps.gov/list-polygraph-schools;
(2) The applicant shall be directly supervised by a polygraph examiner approved by the Board and that examiner shall supervise no more than three trainees at any given time;
(3) An individual currently enrolled in a polygraph school may conduct examinations as a part of the course curriculum provided the examinations are on school premises, under the direct one‑on‑one supervision of a polygraph licensee, and the school provides written notice to the client that such examinations are being conducted by students and not by licensed polygraph examiners. The school shall maintain a copy of the written notification;
(4) Trainees who wish to apply for a license must submit an application to the Board in accordance with Rule .0201 of this Chapter. Applicants meeting license qualifications within one year of the issuance of a trainee permit shall not be required to pay an additional application fee;
(5) Any request for renewal of a trainee permit or for issuance of a polygraph license shall be accompanied by an evaluation report of the trainee's performance submitted by the trainee's supervisor; and
(6) In addition to the final evaluation report, supervisors shall submit five monthly evaluation reports over the duration of the traineeship on a checklist provided by the Board.
History Note: Authority G.S. 74C‑5;
Eff. June 1, 1984;
Amended Eff. May 1, 2014; December 1, 1985;
Transferred and Recodified from 12 NCAC 07D .0502 Eff. July 1, 2015;
Readopted Eff. March 1, 2020.