14B ncac 16 .0707 TRAINING REQUIREMENTS FOR UNARMED SECURITY GUARDS
(a) Applicants for an unarmed security guard registration shall complete a basic training course for unarmed security guards within 30 days from the date of permanent hire. The course shall consist of a minimum of 16 hours of classroom instruction including:
(1) The Security Officer in North Carolina -- (minimum of one hour);
(2) Legal Issues for Security Officers -- (minimum of three hours);
(3) Emergency Response -- (minimum of three hours);
(4) Communications -- (minimum of two hours);
(5) Patrol Procedures -- (minimum of three hours);
(6) Note Taking and Report Writing -- (minimum of three hours);
(7) Deportment -- (minimum of one hour).
A minimum of four hours of classroom instruction shall be completed within 20 calendar days of a probationary or regular security guard being placed on a duty station. These four hours shall include The Security Officer in North Carolina and Legal Issues for Security Officers.
(b) Licensees shall submit the name and resume for a proposed certified unarmed security guard trainer to the Director for Board Approval.
(c) Training shall be conducted by a Board certified unarmed security guard trainer. A Board approved lesson plan covering the training requirements in Paragraph (a) of this Rule shall be made available to each trainer. The Board shall approve other media training materials that deliver the training requirements of Paragraph (a) of this Rule.
(d) The 16 hours of training may be delivered interactively under the following conditions:
(1) The training is presented by a Private Protective Services Board certified unarmed security officer trainer.
(2) Each student is given a copy of the PPS unarmed security officer training manual to use for the duration of the 16 hour training course.
(3) The technology used allows the trainer to see the students and the students to see the trainer in real time during the training.
(4) All students in each classroom are able to see and read the screen or monitor, and they must be able to clearly hear and understand the audio presentation. All monitors used in each classroom must be at least 32 inches wide.
(5) The technology used is of sufficient quality so that the training audio and video is done smoothly and without interruption.
(6) Each student is taught to use the audio and video equipment in their classroom prior to the start of the 16 hour unarmed security officer training course.
(7) The total number of students receiving the interactive training at one time does not exceed 35 students.
(8) All training not included in the NC Private Protective Services unarmed security officer training manual is done either before or after the 16 hour unarmed security officer training.
(9) The Director of Private Protective Services is notified five days prior to training of the location of each classroom, name and location of the certified trainer, and the number of students who will be present.
(10) The sponsoring agency allows the Director or designee access via computer of the training during the time that it is taking place.
History Note: Authority G.S. 74C-5; 74C-11; 74C-13;
Eff. January 1, 1990;
Amended Eff. June 1, 2009; November 1, 2006; June 1, 2004;
Transferred and Recodified from 12 NCAC 07D .0707 Eff. July 1, 2015.